Finding safari partners in Arusha

Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Finding safari partners in Arusha

It looks like I'm not going to find what I want for a safari on line, so I'll probably be waiting until I get to Arusha, though I've hear the touts are worse than the mosquitos there....

How does one find others in Arusha to join together to gt cheaper rates on safari. The one person rates quoted me ($750 for the vehicle, etc) are two expensive, but if I find others who can split that charge 3 or 4 way, then the rest of the prices are very reasonale. I've tried on various boards (here, lonely planet, etc) to find others to join with to no avail. But I did read (somewhere....) that if you spend a day or two in Arusha, you can usually find others who also want cheaper rates on a safari. So my question is

"Where and how in Arusha would I find others who want to go on a budget camping safari to Serengeti/Ngorongoro?"
Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:09 PM

I saw quite a few tourists gather on Boma Road, where the airline offices are, various internet cafes etc. I think the best place I went into was The Jambo Coffe house. But there are a number of safari co. offices in and around this area, try knocking on a few doors and speaking to people. 750$ seems very resonable to me, but for how long was that? Whcih parks are you visiting - does that price include entrance fees etc?

Matt
Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:55 PM

If you cruise around to the various safari shops in Arusha and tell them what kind of safari you want, you will find that many will quickly show
an interest in you. There are other people looking for inexpensive safaris all the time. The safari operators need numbers to keep it reasonable.

Its not difficult thing to do. Know what you want to do, be flexible and don't settle for the first program that fits your needs. Meet your potential travelling companions. Alot of clowns outthere and you will be spending a week or so with them. On the other hand, I have made life long friends from going this route.

I did meet some people in Ethiopia and they talked me into an El Cheapo safari later in Tanz, and hike Kilimanjaro-they call me Uncle Bob. Had a great time even though had done the lodge and luxury camping thing before.

Safaris leave everyday, so get around to alot of offices and meet up with the others. If you are an American, get a group where you are the only yank. Trust me, you will enjoy it more(unless you are thin skinned). It will be a rewarding experience.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:27 AM

Oh man, you guys are adventurous! Maybe 40+ years ago, when single and no one traveling with me who I was responsible for, I might have been willing to go this route, but not now. Good luck, shedwannabe. Guess you can call me safewannabe.

Search this Thread