Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   FinalizingSouth Africa Itinerary - what else do I need to know? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/finalizingsouth-africa-itinerary-what-else-do-i-need-to-know-677643/)

ejbentx Feb 7th, 2007 11:06 AM

FinalizingSouth Africa Itinerary - what else do I need to know?

You all are so wonderful to read! You have given me so much info without my needing to post, but my trip is in the fianl planning stages, and I would LOVE to get feedback and any additional suggestions.

We are going to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary by going to SA for our first time for 17 days this September/October. Here is the itinerary (THE UNVEILING!)

Sept 19 depart Houston
Sept 20 arrive CPT (stay David's)
Sept 21 CPT (Table MTN, tour city)
Sept 22 CPT (Robbin Island, Gardens)
SEpt 23 CPT (Winelands all day)
Sept 24 CPT (Cape drive)
Sept 25 Hermanus (la Fontaine)(Shark dive)
Sept 26 Knysna (Old Cape House)
Sept 27 Knysna
Sept 28 Port Elizabeth (stay ?)
Sept 29-Oct 2 Djuma Bush Lodge
Oct. 2-6 Benguerra Lodge, MOZ (luxurylink auction!)
Oct. 6 HOME

I tried to shoehorn in a trip to Vic Falls in this time frame, but it seemed too much.
We will rent a car on the 23 or 24th, and drop off in PE.
I have gone through about 5 travel agents, none of whom seemed to listen to what I wanted (I even told them where I wanted to stay, at least price range, and it didn't help!), so I am doing this on my own . Any advice, ideas, comments on lodging (nothing booked yet) would be greatly appreciated. Also, who does a great full day wine trip (Selwyn?)?

Thanks in advance!

mkhonzo Feb 7th, 2007 12:29 PM

Nice trip.
try and get an early start for the shark dive, weather can pick the sea up in the afternoon, which could lead to its cancellation.
The drive to Knysna is around five hours, as a tourist maybe seven to eight, so be sure that you don't leave the shark dive to the morning of your departure, you'll be back on land around mid-day putting you into Knysna just after sunset.

What you might consider is four nights in Cape Town, a good hotel priced competitively is the Commodore, although there are some less expensive B&B options should you prefer.

Complete all tours for the cape then spend the day on the wine route finishing up in Gansbaai/Hermanus, turn that into a two night stay and you'll be in better shape to do a shark dive and a whale watching trip. (shark boats anchor while the whale boats travel and will get you into dyer island to see the 6-700 penguins, perhaps some bottle nose dolphions and the 30 000 ccape fur seals.

I think your allocation for time to pass through Knysna, Plett, Natures Valley is fine, but you'll probably wish you had given yourself another day. I assume that you want to overnight in PE as you'll need to be on an early flight to make the hop into Djuma, right? Not sure where to suggest you stay, but would think that there are B&B's a plenty for this purpose.

Getting to Mozambique from the sands is easy, you just need to check that Pelican air has a departure from the Kruger Mpulamalnaga airport on that day, otherwise you might need to rise early and get back to Johannesburg to make the connection to Mozambique. getting back shouldn't be a problem as there is daily service from Vilanculos to Johannesburg.

Any other help you need?

ejbentx Feb 7th, 2007 12:44 PM

Thanks! I like the idea of cape drive finishing in hermanus. Can you recommend a shark dive company?

mkhonzo Feb 7th, 2007 03:29 PM

I do, but I don't have the outfitters name with me at the moment, will let you know in the morning.
That said there are limited permits so of the 22 or so I don't think that you can go too far wrong.

santharamhari Feb 7th, 2007 09:55 PM

sounds good......pl update us about your game viewing experiences at djuma on return. Thanks in advance.....

Hari

pompous Feb 8th, 2007 08:32 AM

I am heading to South Africa on a trip similar to yours for my honeymoon in March. Starting in Cape Town on the 16th followed by one night in the winelands, 12 nights in Knysna and three nights at Lalibela near Shamwari and Addo. I recommend staying at Portland Manor in Knysna, I have stayed there before and am staying there again. It is on a farm just to the west of Knysna. Affordable prices and luxurious service, I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in the area. They have a fantastic affordable restaurant and provide a full breakfast every day. A very relaxing romantic place to get away from it all. The Garden Route is one of the most beautiful places in all the world I would almost recommend at least on more day in the area to you.
As far as Cape Town goes a friend of mine from Knysna recommended that I stay at the Cape Heritage hotel. It is centrally located between Greenmarket square and the VA Waterfront.
Botlierskop private game reserve is located approximtely 45 minutes west of Knysna and provides a surprisingly satisfying game viewing experience, but Shamwari as well as the rest of the Game reserves in the Addo region provide a more authentic safari experience in my opinion.
If you would like more info on the Knysna region and actiities let me know. It is my favorite place to visit in the world.

mkhonzo Feb 8th, 2007 08:33 AM

Great White Shark Tours: www.sharkcagediving.net

ejbentx Feb 8th, 2007 01:00 PM

Pompous-
Thanks for the insight! I did check out the Manor, and while gorgeous, it is more expensive than our budget allows.

mkhonzo-
The shark diving site looks great - I saw the Dirty Jobs episode, and I would get a kick out of using the same guys! (my husband thinks I'm nuts!) Thanks again!