Kruger Safari Dilemma

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kruger Safari Dilemma

We are travelling to South Africa in July. We are planning a 3 day safari in a private lodge in Kruger. We want to see lots of animals, and enjoy the food. We are considering Sabi Sabi, Mala Mala, Londolozi, and Leopard Hills. Singita is a little pricey, but we would also consider it if it is that much better.
Any advice?
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:29 PM
sandi

betner - if you want responses, it's best you keep your threads/posts together. It's easier for you to find responses, and for posters to answer. You're taking one trip which you hope to include SA and Namibia - keep it together.

Now, it's Sunday - and many people are not around to respond. You're likely to start getting responses later this evening and tomorrow.

Your choices at SA are excellent, and I think Mala Mala will give you the wealth of animal sightings you hope to see. But we're talkinng animals, and they're not on our schedule, so never any guarantees. The only differences between Mala Mala and the others listed, especially Londolozi and Leopard Hills is that the latter are more luxurious.

As to Namibia. From where are you planning to fly... and you'll be going into Windhoek. From Windhoek you can drive to Etosha - a good 5-6 hours (or fly); for the Skeleton Coast most offerings are "fly-ins".

Do a "search" in the box on the top of this board - input Nambia and click the search button. Threads will appear on the left and you can read various thoughts and ideas on both of these locations in Namibia.

As to safety. Namibia is as safe as any other place in the world today, probably more so.

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Hi

My wife and I went on a safari at a place called Djuma Vuyatela in December 2004. This game lodge is a part of the Sabi Sands area. I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Betner

My wife and I love Mala Mala. For details of our last trip and some of my wife photos search for my posts. You might also want to check out their weekly sightings diary at www.malamala.tv

Mala Mala is a bit less luxurious than the other camps, but the rooms are lovely and confortable, the satff are charming and the game is magnificient.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I'll vote for MalaMala. I was there Sept04 and would definitely go back. Here is a link to the photos taken there http://www.pbase.com/cjw/south_africa_2004&page=all
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM

betner: You may want to consider Londolozi Tree Camp. I had a similar experience to my Singita stay at Londolozi and for half the price! My stay at Leopard Hills was just average, mainly due to the small size of the concession. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 05:36 AM

girlpolo,

Regarding the better pricing of Londolozi Tree vs. Singita, was this mostly due to the single supplement being waived at Londolozi, a CCAfrica camp? Or, was it due to some special?

Last time I checked, Londolozi Tree actually had slightly HIGHER rates than Singita.

I do see Londolozi Tree come up on special once every few months, and I have seen somebody buy a 2 night package for $1,500 total (that is $750 pp sharing). Of course this is very rare, but I have seen it on a couple of occasions in the last 6 months.

I'd be interested in knowing how you were able to get rates half the price of Singita for your Londolozi Tree stay. That is a tremendous bargain.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM

Sundowner - great pictures, what camera and lense were you using?
Also do you happen to remember which Leopards you saw?
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 12:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
napamatt - I don't remember which leopards they were. That was my first trip to MalaMala and I didn't realize that all the groups of cats were named. I might have taken a notepad with me on game drives! It's very cool that they all stay in the same area and the markings allow you to tell them apart. We did see a young female leopard that our ranger (Tim- I think he worked there 2 years) didn't know and they didn't know the Cheetah either.

I used a Canon 10D and a 70-200mm or 300mm, both f/2.8. I'm taking a photo workshop next weekend (birds in Roma, TX) and will also learn some photoshop skills.