June in Capetown- clothes question, don't laugh!

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
June in Capetown- clothes question, don't laugh!

American leaving from 90 degree weather to wine country for a week June 9th. I'm going crazy trying to decide what to pack! It will be winter, but moderate according to my guide books. Do people wear primarily dark colors; winter wear? Will nights get much colder than 40? I'm considering a pair of black slacks with mix/match non-wrinkle silk blouses for dinners and a light jacket. For daytime walking around wineries and hiking- slacks/jeans with long sleeve cotton tops and sweater? I am into packing LIGHT. We'll be dining at a few wineries and local restaurants- my impression is that they are not too dressy and I'd prefer leaving skirts/heels at home. Any input is appreciated!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 05:15 AM

Don't forget the rain coat, umbrella and a sweatshirt. In Cape Town, in winter, you can experience 4 seasons in 1 day and if it is cold and windy you can always travel to the other side of the mountain for different weather.

You may also want to pack a bathing suit for sunbathing and a few short sleeved shirts or t-shirts. I have been to Cape Town many times in winter and while Cape Town is notorious for its rainy winters,I have yet to experience a trip when it rained every single day. Many times, we have had great sunshine.

Otherwise what you have suggested is fine.

Actually, if you want, you can get some great sweathsirts there. We love the sweatshirts and t shirts with the "the cape town t-shirt company" logo available from the store on the 3rd floor in the clock tower Mall at the waterfront, (next to the VAT agency and internet cafe) and the sweats and t shirts from the NSRI (National Sea Rescue Institute) store between the waterfront Mall and the V and A hotel.

Even if you are just planning to be in thw winelands for a week, DO NOT, under any circumstances miss out on going into Cape Town and taking a day to enjoy Cape Town and a trip around the peninsular.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 05:53 AM

Cape Town in winter is like a baby, if it is not wet, it has a wind. And the wet could be for days on end, not hard rain, just enough to keep you wet. Best would be to make provision for the rain. No, I don't think dark colours are the in thing but, in Cape Town, people do not really care what you wear.

But Lisa's advice is, as usual, spot on. I still think Cape Town has the best fish and chips.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:57 PM

I can so relate to this, the woman in me always needs to know what to pack!
First up: do not be concerned about colours - the brighter you are the more like a local you will appear. Cape Town winters are moderate compared to many other parts of the world, but as pointed out, very wet. Bring that raincoat! If you are outside and the southeaster is blowing it can be very unpleasant. My suggestion is to opt for comfort, and leave room in your bag to buy clothes locally to take back. You will be amazed at the excellent quality stuff you can buy at very reasonable prices! And you can safely leave those skirts and heels at home.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:19 PM

I lived in CT more than 30 years and never owned a raincoat. That said, I probably dodged the raindrops going to work and school by car etc. June as most of winter is unpredictable. I would take clothes that can be layered to include a jacket or medium weight coat. Umbrella yes. If you have a rainjacket with a warm removable lining that would probably work well. If you like fancy socks there is a store in the red shed at the Waterfront which sells a great variety.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:22 PM

Hi LLindaC

All of the advice that you have been given by everyone of the helpful folk who have answered you is spot on in my opinion when it comes to what to do clothes wise in June/July in Cape Town.

All that I want add is that please remember that South Africa is a VERY,VERY laid back country. You will never need to dress smartly for dinner, however it could be handy to bring one set of smart semi formal clothing with you just in case. Otherwise it will be jeans, t-shirts, track shoes and anything that you feel comfortable in. Thats one of the great features of coming to SA There is NO FORMALITY WHATSOEVER.

Hope this all helps in ensuring that you enjoy your stay in our great country as well as my wonderful hometown of Cape Town.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:45 AM
DE

It's great to know that there is no need for clothing other than casual wear especially with some of the weight restrictions with the small planes during safari. This trip we will only have one smaller sized soft suitcase for TWO people, because we are so limited in what we can take along. Our clothing will definitely have to be very scaled down. This was a difficult concept for me at first (especially being away for a month), but I am slowly getting used to the idea. My main concern was appropriate dressing for dinners in cities, however they will just have to take me in clean very casual attire.