Film - Uganda's child slaves...

Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Film - Uganda's child slaves...

Just reposting to clarify the title better- this film is called "Invisible Children"

Hi - has anyone seen this film by chance? It's about the children in Uganda kidnapped and brainwashed and forced into becoming soldiers, slaves, and prostitutes. Some of the producers will be in my town tonight to air it at one of our high schools. Apparently they added our area to the itinerary when they learned that a group of high school students raised close to $2,000 to help build a school in Uganda! Have a great weekend, everyone.

Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:52 AM

I'd like to see it. I'll keep my eye out for screenings in my area. My sister always says to me, "Why do you see so many depressing documentaries?" Thanks, cooncat.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

You are most welcome. Yes, this will no doubt be depressing. But.... the more people know about these things the closer we get to action??? Maybe? We can hope!

Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:15 AM

Here's a link to the list of screenings and locations...not coming to my town till May! I'm still waiting for "Darwin's Nightmare" to show in Atlanta too:
http://www.invisiblechildren.com/the...ings/index.php
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
sandi

CNN did a plug for this film the other day. Unfortunately, many films such as this are in small release and not many have the opportunity to view them. Consider that here in the States we receive so little International news, especially, if TV is ones source of information, no one really ever knows about the calamities around the world. Think of how rare we see updates on the disaster in Darfur, or anything that is being done about it. Not much.

Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:28 AM

Sandi,

So true about the dearth of international news here. I remember our local rag did a series on what was going on in northern Uganda and the LRA a couple of years ago and I thought, "What??? How could I have never heard of this before?!?!"

cooncat, if you get a chance go see "The Boys of Baraka," although it's more about the lack of opportunity for some here than Kenya. Extremely depressing and sad but quite interesting.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the screening link, maxwell. Looks like I won't be in town for the USC screening I'll let my sister know about the Berkeley one.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
bat

cooncat: thanks for the info--maxwell thanks for the schedule

Search this Thread