Fez v. Meknes

May 22nd, 2003, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Fez v. Meknes

We are staying in Fez for 2 nights, is it worth traveling to Meknes for a day trip or is our time better spent in Fez?
May 27th, 2003, 12:00 PM

My recommendation is to spend the two days in Fez since it will take you a couple of hours just to get to Meknes. At that rate, half your day is spent on the road, whereas Fez is a complete feast for the senses and deserves longer than two days. How long will you be in Morocco?
May 28th, 2003, 02:51 AM

We spent one day in Meknes (and one night) and one day in Fes (and one night). That was much too short for both cities, but we didn't have much choice. I would not travel to Meknes for a day if you are staying in Fes; I found Few more fascinating and two days are still not enough!
May 29th, 2003, 09:33 PM
AMJ

I lived in Morocco for a year and I have to say that both Fes and Meknes are beautiful cities. A great attraction to fes is the Old Medina however, you will find it overhwhelming because of the constant harassment by children for guided tours as well as the prices will be fairly expensive the "tourist price". Like I said I lived there for a year and I only went to the Old Medina in Fes once because of the level of harassment by the children was so intense and fustrating. Personally I prefer Meknes. I belive it is a better choice between the two. It is only about an hour or two away by gran taxi which will cost about 18-20 dirhams ($1.80-2.00). You can find a gran taxi by the train station. They sit 6 people and you just pay for your seat. See what the other people are paying just in case so you won't get the "tourist price". Meknes has a great Medina and the harassment is not as sever as it is in Fes or Merkesh. In addition, to the Medina you can go into the market to see their fresh produce, candy, spices, pottery, this is a sight in itself and there also is a used flea market where they sell used clothes and other goods. You definetly do not want to miss Meknes it is too close to Fes not to go for a night.

Search this Thread