My Southern Africa route whatcha think?

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Southern Africa route whatcha think?

Hello again

After some great advise on this forum, and finally getting my confirmation from the DWNP in Maun for my camping sites and dates in Bots (which were a week later than I wanted but beggars cannot be choosers)

I have finally sorted my route out and wanted some advise (this will be late Sep and October)

I have an extra 2\3 days that I can add into this route as my flights in\out of SA can be changed without much hassle. the only things set in stone at the min is the bots DWNP (I think I can change the etosha bookings as they have plenty of room at the min) and also Oddballs can be changed but although its not for another 6months I need to get all my bookings finalised.

So what do you think of the route?

and where would you add a few days? (I am thinking that I am going through Namibia a bit quick)

As this is my first visit to Africa all advise is gratefully received

Day1
Cape Town
Day2
Cape Town
Day3
Cape Town
Day4
Pick up 4x4 and drive to Cedarberg Wilderness Area is located 200km north of Cape Town stay at Algeria camp site hike and explore in afternoon
Day5
Drive to Orange River 455km stay at bushwhackers (hire a canoe)
Day6
Drive to Quiver Tree Forest for photos Drive to Fish river canyon stop at varies view points camp at hobus
Day7
Drive to Sesriem and camp at Serium camp site stop at canyon visit dune 45 for sunset
Day8
Up at sunrise for main dune and the hike to dead vlei leave at lunchtime for drive to Swakopmund camp at desert sky backpacker
Day9
Full day at Swakopmund camp at desert sky backpacker maybe a balloon flight

Day10
Up early drive to cape cross seal colony before heading inland via spitzkoppe area and camp at Twyfelfontein camp at Aba Huab Camp or Camp Xaragu
Day11
Drive to Etosha via the petrified forest stay night at Okaukuejo camp
Day12
Etosha drive to Hali camp
Day13
Etosha drive up Namutoni and camp 5th october
Day14
Up early and drive to Rundi and camp in the area (Paxton's Shamvura camp)
Day15
Drive down to Maun stop at poppa falls and droskys on the way camp Maun

Day16
Stay at oddballs fly out around 11am ish
Day17
Stay at oddballs

Day18
Stay at oddballs

Day19
Back from Oddballs in afternoon get supplies and camp in Maun
Day20
Camp at 3rd Bridge Moremi
Day21
Camp at North Gate Moremi
Day22
camp at Chobe National Park - Savute Savuti Campsite
Day23
camp at Chobe National Park - Savute Savuti Campsite
Day24
Chobe River Front Ihaha Campsite 1 night
Day25
Stay in Kasana and do a sunset cruise
Day26
Up early for a Morning cruise then Drive to Livingston camp

Day27
day in Livingston white water rafting\ micro flight camp locally
Day28
Cross into Zim stay at Vic fall
Day29
Drive back to along the Zim side of the river to Nata stay at Nata lodge

Day30
Explore the salt pans\ Makgadikgadi and stay at Gweta

Day31
Drive to Jbourg stay at airport
Day32
Hand back 4x4 and fly out at 10:30am
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:43 AM
sniktawk

That's an awful lot of driving!

Good Luck.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:54 PM

Not familiar with balloon flights from Swakopmund, where do they fly? Knowing the area it is not a flight I would take. A better bet would be a scenic airplane flight along the Skeleton Coast.

I would have a back-up plan for Zim portion.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Tuckeg

I had wanted to go to Hwange for a few days maybe in 6months zim might have settled down a bit? But If I have to scratch Zim I will just do a longer rafting trip
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 12:12 AM

Howdy AJ - the trip certainly moves along at a cracking pace.

Some of the day drives you have described would make some feint-hearted!

Having (been) driven (guided camping) from North Gate to Savute then over the Sand ridge from Savute to Linyanti in 2005 I'd say that your days will be alot of driving in difficult terrain - so activtities planned or hoped for would be subsumed by the driving involved.

Guess a couple of good questions would be
1) What's your 4x4 experience?
2) What is the purpose of the trip? What are you hoping to get out of it?

Personally, I think you either have to add more time so you are not moving daily - or cut out destinations for the same end.

This recent newsletter from a 4x4 safari club tour in Botswana details some of the conditions you will experience.

"http://www.graphicmail.com/9324"
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Mega4

Wow that's a real tale!!!

I have a fair bit of 4x4 experience but in Australia and Europe and not in deepest Africa

Although that trip was made at the end of the wet season as I am planning mine for the end of the dry season I am hoping that it is only the deep sand that I have to deal with

I have a day in Maun before I start that section of my trip and if the rains have come early or the conditions are not advisable for a single 4x4 then I will probable take the Tar route to Kasane via Nata and spend the extra days in the pans

Also I have a few days to pad out my trip. Which days do you think will be a little hurried as I can add extra into the route?

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Hi AJ,
I always enjoy getting that newsletter- even though I am not a 4X4 driver. Still on the to-do list.

IMHO depending on your route out of Savuti, I think you could have another day between there and Chobe waterfront. Either at Linyanti or through Nogotsaa waterhole/ camp site.
I haven't done the latter and have only gone overland from Savuti to Linyanti. I have flown from there to Kasane and the terrain (mostly) looked fairly desolate- low shrubs, desert , odd waterhole etc. On the map there is a track that goes to Nogotsaa. I have read it is very basic- self cater everything. Also on the map is a track through Linyanti which follows the river and seems to join a tar road west of the Chobe riverfront area.

Good to hear you have 4X4 experience, you will need it for either exit from Savuti!

I can't comment on the Namibia leg except from the point of view of actively planning a self drive trip there later on this year. If you stay in 2, rather than 3 camps in Etosha you will spend less time on setting up camp. More time to explore the park. The obvious choice would be to transfer the night at Halali to Namutoni or Okaukuejo.

Have a splendid adventure. I look forward to you trip report.

Old Apr 26th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Mega4namaddy

Thanks for the info mate I will look into it in more detail (I have already added an extra night at Etosha so I have 2 nights at Okaukuejo As I have a roof tent on the 4x4 I will need to be packing up every morning anyway which is why I am moving about so much.

Also I noticed in the news letter they have a trip planned to chobe in september which will be a great help in seeing what conditions for 4x4 is like

How did you subscribe to the news letter as I guess the URL changes for each newsletter

Adam
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 05:58 PM

Hi AJ,
can't remember how I subscribed to the newsletter, it's a while ago now. Their email address is [email protected].