Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Morocco Itinerary--take a look at these options....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Jill

My husband and I are planning a trip in April. We have limited time and have 2 itinerary's in mind. We don't want to be in a car the whole time, but have found there are very limited flights. We keep hearing Fez over Marrakech but have not heard why. So we may want to go with the 2nd itin. We would appreciate any recommendations.<BR><BR>Fly into Casa, fly out same night to Ouarzazate landing about 11pm.<BR>Next am, drive through Draa Valley to Zagora. Camel ride to desert and overnight in Berber tent.<BR>Drive to Kasbah du Tobkul in Imlil, stopping at Ait Ben Haddou on way. Stay here for 2 nights.<BR>Proceed to Marrakech, stay near Medina for 2 nights.<BR>Home<BR><BR><BR>Another is:<BR><BR>Fly into Casa, drive to Rabat. Overnight.<BR>Drive to Fes.<BR>Drive to Erfoud. Overnight in Merzouga in Berber tent.<BR>Drive through Dades Valley to Ouarzazate. Overnight here.<BR>Continue to Marrakech 1 or 2 nights.<BR>Home<BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:51 AM
jill

Anyone?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM
sven

Jill, I didn't like Ait Ben Haddou very much, it's a kasbah all right but it's not alive. Drive along the so-called &quot;Route des Kasbahs&quot; and you'll n aturally come to places that are as &quot;movie-like&quot; but that are still used as a village. I have visited wonderful people in the Vallee du Draa and Dades. Don't know if that fits your itinerary.<BR>Marrakech is great fun if you don't mind the sticky sales guys. Every visit to a shop (in the old city) leads to a sales cycle, be prepared but as long as you stay cool, there's never a problem.<BR>I didn't visit Fez so no help there.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Clif

I took a similar trip two years ago. I would choose Marrakech over Fez. Also, it is a long drive from Fez to the Sahara and not really much to see along the way. I would definately visit the Sahara. I spent one night in Merzouga at one of the small lodges and took a camel ride to the dunes for sunrise. It was just about the highlight of the trip. I also spent several days in the coastal town of Essouira. Pardon the spelling. I could go on and on. Feel free to E-mail me if you need additional info.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:18 PM
Eric

I would say the contrary....I'd go for Fez instead. So you have my vote there. If you haven't thought of whrere to stay, I would also recommend checking out www.fesmedina.com because they provide accomodations right in the middle of the medina with a artistically detailed, restored villa rented to you only and no one else.