Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Ferries to Morrocco and Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/ferries-to-morrocco-and-hotels-38304/)

Andrea Feb 11th, 1999 10:28 AM

Ferries to Morrocco and Hotels

We are travelling to Spain in March. We would like to go to Tangier and Fes in Morocco. Has anyone taken the ferry from Algeciras, Spain to Tangier in Morocco? Also how can we get from Tangier to Fes? Any ideas on hotels in Fes? We want something clean and safe but close to the old city and all it's attractions.

Jeffrey Feb 18th, 1999 06:52 AM

My wife and I went to Morocco last February, starting with Tanger, and making a big circle from Meknes to Fes, The Middle Atlas, The Rif area and ending up back in Tanger. The ferry from Algeciras to Tanger takes about 3 hours, and has frequent departures. Buy your ticket in the ferry building at each port, as the travel agencies won't have the most current information pertaining to departure times. We bought return tickets at an agnecy in Fes, but it turned out that particular ferry no longer traveled, and we couldn't get our money back. To get from Tanger to Fes, the train is comfortable and takes about 4 hours. There is a transfer in the city of Sidi Kacem, so ask a conductor to help you find your connection. First class cost about US$10. The Tanger train station (Gare Central) is about 1 km from the ferry landing. You can walk, but the hawkers will probably frustrate you. A petit taxi can take you there but try to negociate a fair price first. As for Fes, we ended up meeting a guy on the train, and crashed in his house (something of an adventure), but we spent one night at the Hotel Voloboulis, which was very clean and comfortable, about USD$60. It was in a good, safe area of town, but located almost 5 km from the medina and old city. A petit taxi took us there in 15 minutes for about US$1.50. Any other questions about Morocco? E-mail me to the above. - Jeffrey

Daniela Dec 29th, 1999 09:19 AM

I'm planning to go from Algeciras to Tangier also and I would like to know if anyone went by ferry taking a car. We will be travelling through Spain and plan to spend a day in Tangier/Asilah.

greg Dec 31st, 1999 02:40 PM

You're going to get harrased like crazy <BR>in Tanger. They are some of the worst <BR>in the world. Get ready for it! Gp

nevado Feb 25th, 2000 12:41 AM

Taking a car into Morocco requires a current registration. If you're renting a car I'm almost positive they won't let you go through. I'd check with the rental agency first.

August Feb 29th, 2000 08:29 PM

I was there this Jan. Please note, half a year ago, the Tangier train station was moved to around 6 km away from the Port. Unless you have plenty of time and little money, you'd better take the taxi. It cost US$ 2-3 for the taxi to train station. (depending how you bargain, we bargain everywhere in Morocco, even in the restaurant) <BR> <BR>The train station is a temp one, far away from downtown. Small. No ATM. No locker. No restaurant around, and, they do not accept credit card. Change money before go there, or you will need to take the taxi back to downtown to withdraw or change money for the train ticket. <BR> <BR>I stayed in Hotel Bartha in Fes. Four star single/double for 3 star price (USD20/25) It's in Fes el-Bali, within quick strolling distance of the medina. It costs you USD1.5 from the train station to the hotel. Better ask the taxi driver take you to the hotel directly, or you will meet a group of faux guides gathered near the petit taxi station outside the medina. They were the worst I've met in Morocco.

Victor Mar 15th, 2000 09:06 AM

Tangier and Fes both require a thick skin. Tangier is a bit worse than Fes, depending on how you look at it. Fes is dirtier, but safer. I have been to Morocco twice, going back a 3rd time in 2 weeks. Skipping Tangier this time (other than to catch the train to Marrakesh). <BR> <BR>In addition to the ferry, there is a fast Hydrofoil. <BR> <BR>You can get a train from Tangier to CAS and from CAS to Fes. Check the ONCF (moroccan train system) web site... http://www.oncf.org.ma (french only)

Dave Nov 7th, 2000 05:02 AM

I'm planning on doing the reverse - leave from Morocco and use the ferry to get over to southern Spain and maybe Portugal. I still haven't seen any rates for the ferry posted, though. Any suggestions? Many thanks!