Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   February Safari to Kenya/Tanzania (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/february-safari-to-kenya-tanzania-444790/)

jozo Oct 4th, 2008 08:21 AM

February Safari to Kenya/Tanzania

I can't believe it is only 4 months until we leave on our safari! YIPPEE! So now I am writing to ask for specific tips on taking an East African safari in February. We are going with Africa Adventure Company and doing the usual circuit through Kenya and Tanzania.

We will stay at a few Sopa lodges, as well as some camps (Kikoti, Tortilis, Mara Intrepids.) We have the usual 33 lb weight limit on luggage and we are avid photographers, also taking a very small HD video camera.

So any and all advice is welcome. Packing tips are especially welcome! Will a fleece be enough for cooler temps? Do we expect rain? We leave 2/6/09 and return 2/22/09.

Thank you all for any advice.
Jody and Jim

divine54 Oct 4th, 2008 09:25 AM

hi jody and jim,

these 4 months are to to fly away in no time!
happy you!

i don't know any of the sopa lodges so i cannot comment on these. the same with mara intrepids.

i know tortilis which is a nice camp almost on the foot of mount kili.

the weight limit should not bother you as i assume you are wearing safari outfits and won't dress up for dinner. so no worries about the weight.

regarding packing - you should pack soft sided suitcases or "duffels" as you most probably fly from a to b (at least occasionally) and these soft items are a must for these small aircrafts!

a fleece should be sufficient plus a windbreaker or something similar. despite being summer season it can get a bit chilly in the morning especially in relatively open vehicles!

now to the rain question: that's the 1 mio $ question ;-)
normally end of febr. the rains are supposed to start. as the weather isn't predictable anymore you should not be disappointed if you experience an occasional rain shower.

the cars can be closed (side flaps) so getting wet is not really in the pipeline.
but you should take some big plastic bags with you in order to protect your photo gear when it's humid.
you either take a towel from the camp with you or buy a "kikoi" (very nice fabric handwoven in kenya) which is approx. 12-15$ depending on where you buy it to protect your equipment from dust! amboseli has got a nick name: dust bowl ;-)

regarding specifics in view to packing:
one fodorite has put great effort into creating a packing list. sorry cannot recollect the name.
use the search button "packing list". i hope you trace it.

happy planning!

div

aowens Oct 4th, 2008 10:06 AM

The packing list was done by LyndaS. I think you can search that screen name and it will come up.

atravelynn Oct 4th, 2008 06:11 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34802443

That's the packing list.

Just today I was thinking a Feb safari to the Mara and then Tanzania would be a nice combo. Here's yours.

Does your itinerary have you going from the Mara to Arusha and if so does it have you waking in the Mara and sleeping in Arusha?

Happy counting down and eventually packing.

jozo Oct 4th, 2008 06:34 PM

Hi Ann. We will spend 2 nights at Mara Intrepids, so I hope we will do some walking. We go through Arusha, but do not spend the night there.

When I get home tomorrow (we are up at our cabin this weekend) I will post more details about our itinerary.
Best,
Jody
(jozo)

jozo Oct 4th, 2008 06:36 PM

My bad-- that reply was for Lynn-- I was just emailing with a biddy named Ann and suffered a 'brain lapse'.
Jody

Ve Oct 4th, 2008 07:13 PM

I just returned from Tanzania, spending time at the Serengeti Sopa,Ngorongoro Sopa and Tarangire Sopa, all of them were beautiful, the staff was great and the buffets were splendid, the pools were wonderful too. Know you'll have a great time where ever you choose to stay. Have a great trip.

atravelynn Oct 5th, 2008 03:43 PM

Thanks Jojo, and I'll look forward to your whole itinerary.