Vaccinations

Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaccinations

Did you all have ​​vaccination against malaria before leaving? Couldn't be enough to take care of being covered up with long dresses and protect yourself with insect repellent? Thank you so much
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no vaccination for malaria as far as I know. Various pills depending on your location. It could be enough to cover up, sleep in AC and use repellent but again, depends on your location. Check the WHO (World Health Organization) website for particulars.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 08:47 AM

Please please get your malarial prophylaxis presciption. I had friends who tried the "natural" route and ended up in a Kenyan hospital with malaria.

Malaria is serious business. I'm going back to Kenya for the Great Migration this year and though the chances are low that I could get malaria, I am still taking my medicine.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 09:07 AM

No inoculation for Malaria. Tabs only - Malarone, Lariam or doxycycline. Each has different protocol when to start, time of day, how long after departing Africa. Get script from your doc.

Malaria is a souvenir you DO NOT WANT TO RETURN HOME WITH.
Take the pills and cover up dusk to dawn when the mossies bite.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 09:28 AM

Most doctors won't know which drug to give you so you must do your own research unless you have a travel clinic nearby.

According to the CDC map Uganda has malaria everywhere:
http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/map/

This site tells you which drug to take for Uganda:
http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers...y_table/u.html
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 04:24 AM

No vaccination for malaria however malaria prophylaxis is advised before travel to Uganda. Prevention is better than cure as you know. Mosquito repellants can be used too.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 07:18 AM

"Mosquito repellants can be used too."

In fact, a very good idea as prophylaxis is not 100%.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. This is the plan: I both will have vaccinations and defend from bits. In daily life I prefer natural therapies, but I have to admit I still trust regular medicine. Really thank you. This forum is so great thanks to your support.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 10:20 PM

Also, most descent safari lodges have treated mosquito nets for every bed. In case you start getting fevers, joint pains, weaknes, go to a hospital right away.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 02:24 PM

Malaria is one of those things that you don't need to have a first hand knowledge of how bad it can be. So, take the good advise here on this forum and call a travel meds location near you and get the meds and don't miss taking any. Don't let that lull you into complacency though. If you have a bug net at your lodge, sleep under it. Also use insect repellent and long sleeves. It pays to be cautious. Also, please check the CDC for the requirements and recommendations. Many areas require Yellow Fever inoculation too, so make sure you have the necessary vaccinations. I believe you do have to have YF vaccination. If you don't, you could get quarantined. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinat...er/none/uganda Ask your travel meds doctor about that too.

Have fun.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 02:30 PM

BTW, if you look in your yellow pages under doctors-travel or you Google travel medicine in your area,you can find a doctor that has a direct link to the CDC requirements and they will have on hand the corect medicine for travelers. They will also have the Yellow Fever card (required if the vaccination is required) that you will need to carry with you. They keep your records permenantly so you can have a good place for future reference in case you don't know what vaccinations you have had.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 10:46 AM

On another post or two, I saw that dependant upon one's age, immune system, etc. a letter from your doctor stating that it was not advisable to have the YF shot would do. Anyone know more or have any experience with this. My husband and I both have that letter.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 10:58 AM

Regarding a yellow fever vaccination, I used a form for the purpose saying it was contraindicated for me which my doctor signed. It was required for the freighter company on whose ship I was traveling through the Suez Canal. But I'd research further to see if the letter would be good enough for entering countries that require it.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 11:03 AM

pumpkin - I replied to your other thread.
The letters will suffice.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 08:44 AM

We went to Passport Travel and got the malaria meds. You need to start them 4-5 days (they will tell you) before leaving the country. I have a serious immune disorder and malaria was too much of a risk for us as we were entering a 'high risk' malaria area. I can see that it may be that some would be willing to take the risk if they were healthy and entering a 'low risk' area, but not in a high risk area. The CDC or WHO will defined those for you on a map.

As for Yellow Fever, we got that shot two years ago. I've been told that if you try to enter certain countries without the vaccination, they will require it at the border. I don't want to get a shot at the border of a third world country. Also, there may be quarantines at re-entering your home country as I've heard there are sometimes. I have a very serious Immune System disorder and I took it. If the vaccine isn't 'live' vaccine, my Travel meds office told me it was safe for me.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 09:14 AM

"We went to Passport Travel and got the malaria meds. You need to start them 4-5 days (they will tell you) before leaving the country."

There is not just 1 malaria med. It depends entirely on where one is traveling and if there are resistant strains that require one of several possible medications. If cost is a factor I've found travel clinics in the US to be an expensive place to shop. In some parts of the country the county heath service can order vaccinations. Also drugstore clinics. Doxycycline for malaria prevention is readily available and can be prescribed by any doctor and provided by any drugstore. But first do your homework and know what you need.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:00 PM

MmePerdu - I don't claim to know everything, but I do know what I have experienced. I called my GP and they don't do Travel innoculations or other travel related prescriptions, so they referred me to the travel med people. They know my medical history. Pharmacies here don't either. A few are available, but quality counts too, so since I don't know the medicines, I don't buy over the counter type when it is that important I do agree that Travel Meds are expensive, but what isn't. As I indicated, I have a serious immune disorder that could easily take my life. While price is important, it's not that important.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:28 PM

One cannot necessarily apply one's own situation to the traveling population as a whole. As the saying goes, a little information can be a dangerous thing.

Another option with which I have personally used is to have vaccinations done at one's destination prior to need. I've seen doctors for vaccinations and bought from pharmacies in Bangkok, in Bali and other Asian countries known for good care at a fraction of the cost of the same in 1st world countries. It's arrogant in the extreme to assume what we get in the US is any better than abroad. There are exceptions, of course and I wouldn't, for instance, buy drugs of any kind in China. But many of the pharmaceuticals bought in Asia are identical to those bought in the US and others are the equivalent. The difference in price in the amazing part.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 03:49 PM

I don't think it's necessary, your highness, to call anyone arrogant. This is a discussion forum and no one is in charge of telling others they or anything they say is arrogant. I've been nothing but nice to you, but you don't seem to able to tolerate a difference of opinion. A little tolerance goes a long way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -