Search

Souvenier Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Souvenier Advice?

Does anyone have ideas about lightweight souveniers for family and friend? I just heard from someone who went last year that they spent $1500 on gifts and then spent a whopping $750 for shipping. I don't know what they bought, but we have a MUCH smalller budget! Given the cost, we definitely want to avoid shipping.

Also, do you have any thoughts about where to buy/not buy? We'll be traveling between Arusha, Central and Western Serengeti,N'goro Crater, Tarangire before departing for Nairobi. Thanks!!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM

See my reply on your "1 carry-on" thread.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:32 PM

I did most of my shopping at the various lodge gift shops, 1 crafts center between Lake Manyara and the Crater, and the Nairobi airport (which had a lot of stuff).

My main advice - if you see something you like.....buy it. You may not see something like it again. I saw a couple of things but figured I would see something similar later .....WRONG!!!! I missed out on some stuff because I waited.

As for suggestions......depends on who you're buying for. I bought a lot of beaded bracelets for the girls and little metal figures of Masai warriors for the guys. If you have anyone who does quilting - there were some beautiful fabrics (but those get heavy). Some of the wood carvings are beautiful but the soapstone ones are very heavy. The carved masks are neat, but bulky.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Grcxx3-Thanks for the advice! I'm often inclined to put off buying things right away, hoping to find a better buy. I've made a note of the shops you mentioned. We're going to be on a privagte safari so we'll probably be pretty flexible about stopping here and there.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 08:02 AM

I seldom spend huge amounts on souvenirs as a) I don't want huge pieces that won't fit into my home and b) I seem to be good at negotiating prices!

I cherish my carved wooden rhino - he's made from an inexpensive wood and has been dyed black and polished, He's 8 inches or so high. I know I paid less than $20 for him though I can't recall exactly how much.

Other guests at the camp sometimes came back in from a similar Masai excursion having paid over $100 for a similar item and no, the quality of their piece really wasn't any better.

You'd be surprised at how much the starting prices can vary from group to group, let alone the end price.

Even if I had bought some much larger items and many of them I don't know that I'd have been able to spend $1500!!!!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM

If you decide to check a bag with goods for an orphanage or school, you'll have an empty bag for carrying souvenirs home. I always stuff bubble-wrap in my suitcase, along with some packing tape. Wrap the tape around an unsharpened pencil or other thin tube, so as to not take up much room. When you buy your souvenirs, you've got a way to wrap them up for transport home.