Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Family Tours in Africa? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/family-tours-in-africa-256544/)

Leslie Sep 9th, 2002 02:39 PM

Family Tours in Africa?

We only just started considering a family trip to Africa so have not done much research yet and just wondered if the Africa travel experts can recommend tour/safari companies that offer wildlife & cultural tours in Kenya, Tanzania and/or South Africa. We are budget-minded.<BR><BR>Also, which of these countries might be the best destination for a once-in-a-lifetime trip? Thank you.

Karen Sep 12th, 2002 04:59 AM

The best destination of a life Time is Tanzania. We have been there in Last February and We enjoy a lot of wildlife and we relax at the white sands beaches of Zanzibar. Gwt intouch with me for the name of the outfitter organizedour Safari there and more info regarding our tour there.<BR><BR>Karen

Susan Sep 12th, 2002 04:35 PM

Hi Leslie! When researching a tour operator for our trip - we leave next week! - I was very impressed with a tour company out of Massachusetts, Thompson Safaris. They have a website so I would urge you to look at it. We got the brochure and I was really impressed with the programs they had which really included children and things that would interest them. They are not the least expensive, but may give you some ideas.

willem nel Sep 21st, 2002 09:57 PM

hi leslie<BR><BR>although we cater for golfers we also do normal tours troughout south africa.<BR>I believe that your b+b option is the best value for money and you also get to know the locals and their customs firsthand.go to my site www. golf-in-africa.com to get an idea . please do contact me as i would love to be of service. willem

Selwyn Davidowitz Sep 22nd, 2002 04:02 AM

Hi Leslie,<BR><BR>I cant speak for Kenya or Tanzania when it comes to tours that are great for children. I can however tell you that in South Africa there is so much for children to do that I dont think you will find in Kenya or Tanzania.<BR><BR>In all three the above mentioned countries you obviously can all have a wonderful time on a safari however you have to ask yourself what else there is to do in these countries. If you travel to Cape Town and on the Garden Route in South Africa the facilities are endless. An example of some of the many events I organise for my own visitors/families to Cape Town and the Garden Route are:<BR><BR>Cape Town.<BR>----------<BR>Visit the penguin colony.<BR><BR>Trip to Seal Island by boat <BR><BR>The Scratchpatch in Simonstown.<BR><BR>The Cape Town aquarium<BR><BR>Visit the World of Birds in Hout Bay.<BR><BR>Visit the working harbour of Fish Hoek.<BR><BR>Have fun at the Barnyard restaurant <BR><BR>Visit the Butterfly Farm in Simondium.<BR><BR>Have fun at a chocolate factory in Franschhoek.<BR><BR>Enjoy pancakes at Gideons pancake House in Franschhoek.<BR><BR>Visit and pat the cheetahs at the Cheetah Foundation near Stellenbosch<BR><BR>Watch how wine barrels are made in Stellenbosch.<BR><BR>Visit and undertake the challenge of finding your ways through a real maze of trees in Green Point.<BR><BR>Go down to the Cape Town Waterfront. This is also a place where the kids can have much fun.<BR><BR>Oh I could go on and on about Cape Town for children and families.and I have not even started on the Garden Route with ideas as yet only because the Fodors page limitation of length per mail will not allow me to do so.<BR><BR>OK Leslie need I say more as to why I suggest South Africa including Cape Town as being a county for you to visit with your family. (-:)<BR><BR>Come visit us and enjoy our friendly South African hospitality.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz.<BR><BR>

Liz Frazier Sep 22nd, 2002 08:23 AM

Selwyn<BR>Quite an impressive list. What about two adults? Would we need at least 5 days to see Capetown? Could you post a list of things not to be missed please. Thanks. Liz

Selwyn Davidowitz Sep 24th, 2002 03:35 PM

Page 1 <BR><BR>Hello Liz,<BR><BR>I am going to do this mail in two parts so as to accommodate the Fodors length of page rules. <BR><BR>To see in Cape in five days is perfect. Obviously if you have more time that would be great but five days is sufficient. A list of what to do is a huge task as Cape Town is a fabulous town and there is so much to do at different times of the year. Furthermore everybody has their own interests and needs and not everything that is available to be done in Cape Town would be the cup of tea of all. That is why I make a point as a pro tourguide/operator of asking all my visitors what their interests are so as to design tours for them on an individual basis that are based on their interests and needs. Notwithstanding the aforesaid I am going to publish a list of the possibilities that I feel Cape Town offers the visitor that is NOT the normal touristy stuff and you can pick and choose what to do out of the list. I also must add that I will not duplicate events that I have already mentioned in my earlier mail where I suggested activities for children.<BR><BR>In Cape Town there are three journeys that you should definitely do be it on your own or with a guide.<BR><BR>1. Cape Peninsula Tour<BR>2. Cape Winelands Tour<BR>3. City Tour<BR><BR>While on these tours this is what I recommend as being worth seeing and please note you will not be able to do all of these events so you have to be selective in your activities. If you want more details of some of the activities simply write to me and I will help you as best I can<BR><BR>Continued on page 2..... <BR><BR>

Sewlyn Davidowitz Sep 24th, 2002 03:36 PM

Page 2<BR><BR>Peninsula Tour.<BR>---------------<BR>Rhodes Memorial<BR>Kirstenbosch Gardens<BR>The Josephine Mill<BR>Kirstenbosch Gardens<BR>Newlands rugby ground<BR>Newlands cricket ground<BR>Groot Constantia Winefarm<BR>Klein Constantia Winefarm<BR>The scenic train ride from Muizenberg to Simonstown.<BR>The boardwalk walk from Muizenberg to Kalk Bay<BR>The Rhodes Museum<BR>The bric and brac route in Kalk Bay<BR>The Toy museum in Simonstown<BR>Just Nuisance’s grave in Simonstown<BR>The Penguin colony at Boulders Beach<BR>The Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve <BR>Cape Point and The Cae of Good Hope<BR>The ostrich farm just outside the Cape of Good hope entrance.<BR>The wonderful statue carvings outside Scarborough<BR>Misty Cliffs<BR>The incredible views from Slangkop<BR>Silvermine nature reserve<BR>The Hout Bay harbour<BR>The mountain castle in Hout Bay<BR>The spectacular views from the Mount Rhodes estate<BR>Llandudno and the whole Atlantic seaboard.<BR>Camps Bay beach<BR>Camps Bay nightlife<BR>The Sea Point Beachfront<BR>The V& A Waterfront<BR><BR>Then one should also not forget about obvious events such as ascending Table Mountain, driving up Signal Hill, and visiting Robben Island. <BR><BR>Whoever said that their wasn’t much to do in Cape Town.<BR><BR>The above are just some of the events that you would gave choices of on the peninsula tour. When it comes to what to do in the city as well as on the Winelands the events are just to numerous to mention and I would have to answer this in a personalised way as I would have to take individual interests into account when doing so as there simply is too much to want to list. <BR><BR>If you or anybody wants any further help simply write to me and I can assure you I will do whatever I can to help without any obligation on your behalf.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR><BR>

Liz Frazier Sep 24th, 2002 06:39 PM

Selwyn-<BR>You are very generous and gracious in sharing your knowledge. This trip is some time away and although we hadn't before considered Cape Town, after reading this Africa thread, we are thinking seriously of a visit in a year or two. I've been following your posts here and you always seem so willing to help people. You come across as very kind and professional. Thank you. Liz

Selwyn Davidowitz Sep 29th, 2002 01:45 PM

Hi Liz,<BR><BR>Thanks for the compliment.<BR><BR>Hooray another 2 people could well visit Cape Town. Thats all I want to achieve by answering posts on Cape Town on this travel board as honestly as possible. I will always help those who want to know anything about my hometown as well the Garden Route and I truly do this for the love of my city. Thus if you or anybody else needs any info or help please write to me or to the Fodors board and I will do whatever I can to help anybody with my greatest of pleasure.<BR><BR>Liz once again thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz.<BR><BR>