Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Extra protection for mosquitos in the Delta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will spend three days in September at Little Vurumba camp. Of course we are taking malarone prior to our trip. Is it a good idea at "water camp" to use a hat with netting for protection while in the canoes during the day?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM

I visited Vumbura Plains back in September 2005. In spite of all the water, the mosquitoes were not that bad. I used plenty of the usual insect repellent, wore a hat (sans netting) and I don't think that I was bitten at all.

Enjoy your visit - that is a fantastic area.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM

My best suggestion is to take a bandana (neutral colored of course.) I tied one around my neck every morning and it always came in handy. On boat rides in the delta and other areas when the gnats were thick, I pulled it up past my nose, bank robber style. This, together with my hat and sunglasses was referred to as my "safari bhurka." On long, dusty safari rides I also pulled it up to screen my nose and mouth from road dust stirred up by other vehicles or herds of animals. They take up no space in your bag and are better than a hat with netting, as you avoid that "tricked out tourist" look. They wash out quickly and dry overnight. Try it.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Zinfantic,

Just the "peaceful sleep" spray on my clothing is all i am going to be using in the delta next year. Different water camp, Little Kwara...but, same principles...
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Typo: That should read,"Different delta camp"

Rgds,
H
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM

That sounds like a Kwando addict to me... already booked, Hari?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Yes, Nyama.....why not, right!

Btw, Nyama on the topic of mosquitos i won't be popping in any anti-malarial pills.....the game viewing makes me hellucinate enough for the next several months! don't need any medication to add to that!!!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Bandanas are great as a cooling aid. Getting them wet in cold water and tied around you neck will keep you cool for a long time.

Has anyone tried the Bug repellant bandanas. Wonder if having that extra chemical would make it harmful to pull up over your face or to have wet, on your neck?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Same for me, Hari. No pills in the Delta (as long as I don't have to spend a night in Maun).
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Btw, Hari, now where Doctor is guiding at Mapula (www.mapulalodge.com) - ever considered to spend a few nights at this small locally-run camp?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:07 PM

No, Nyama.....i won't be going there! I did read that thread you mention, though....why do you ask?

Glad i'm not the only one who doesn't take the pills. Honestly, i worry more at home (here in India) about mosquito borne diseases. I hardly see mosquitos on game drive in Africa (only exception being sightings in a swampy area). I suppose, i skip the mekoro trips, though....

Hari
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Hari, malaria needs a human population to spread around. You hardly find this at remote camps in the Delta. Unless you stay at Maun there's no big risk.

Re Mapula, I just wanted to know if you're curious to explore new places. This wild dog report from last week sounded promising, and Doctor is an excellent guide. But at least Kwando is owned by Botswana citizens so your money remains in the country.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Nyama, yes agree about the population....i haven't been out of the airport terminal in Maun, so i haven't a clue (except to that gallery across the street)

Good news about the wild dog population, though.....the more the better!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Zinfanatic,
I spray my clothes with permethrin before I leave. I spray everything, including socks, hats and bandanas. I do often wear a bandana around my neck or to tie back my hair. I also take a small tube of deet and a spray pump of jungle juice. I've never had a single mosquito bite. Frankly, I don't recall any mosquitos at all, but I was of course there in winter. However, there were alot of gnats that were quite bothersome to others on boat and mekoro trips. I didn't have any problem.

Nyama is right. Human population is necessary for malaria to spread. The Delta is very remote. I just returned from 12 days in the Delta and did not take malaria prevention.

Have a fantastic time at LV.

Dana