Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Extra Days In Casablanca (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/extra-days-in-casablanca-297841/)

Denzola Feb 4th, 2008 06:51 AM

Extra Days In Casablanca

Hi Everyone! I was wondering if anyone could give us a little advise. We are going to Morocco in March on a GAP Adventure Tour. (I actually WON the trip in a drawing! Lucky me!) The trip is two weeks and goes all over Morocco.

Our tour starts in Casablanca on the evening of March 15th, but our flight gets into Casablanca at around 3 PM on March 13th.

Everything I've been reading about Casablanca makes me think that we might have too much time there. Our tour DOES NOT do the inside of the Mosque of Hassan 2, so we would have to do that by ourselves.

I was wondering if we might want to go someplace else when we get to Casablanca and then travel back on the morning of the 15th, see the Mosque, and meet our group in the PM.

We could sure use any help on this. Should we stay in Casablanca or explore someplace else. The tour we are going on is pretty extensive, but we love to see the sights. (We just got back from three glorious weeks in Thailand.)

Also, if anyone has any good suggestions for accommodations in Casablanca, that would be great!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mylee Feb 5th, 2008 12:19 PM

My husband and I just got back from a month in Morocco. My husband is Moroccan so I am sure that helped with travel and language. I do not know how much free time that you have but if you have any opportunity to go to any of the other cities go and explore. Marrakech is must see. The market and the food will keep you busy for hours and hours.. Essaouira in the south was my favorite. The drive there from Casablanca is breathtaking and the overlook before you head down the mountain is undescribeable. The ocean is spectacular and a very clean city. If you are only able to stay in Casablanca there is lots to see and do it depends on your preferences, time available and sense of adventure. You must go to hamam - the public bath but need someone to go with you to explain the process. It is something I truly miss.

wintersp Feb 5th, 2008 06:40 PM

Casablanca was my least favorite place in Morocco. I'd find a place for a day trip - up the coast, down the coast or elswhere.

We did not go into the mosque you speak of, nor any other mosque in Morocco. But I have been in mosques in other countries. I don't believe non-muslims can go inside.

Three weeks in Thailand and now Morocco - pretty dichotomous places-
and exotic - both lovely individually.

Enjoy your travels.

Denzola Feb 5th, 2008 08:03 PM

Thanks for the responses. Mylee, like I explained, we are going on a tour all over Morocco, but are getting there a couple of days early. I'm so excited about seeing the country!

Wintersp, I DO feel very lucky that I'm getting to see the world again! And so soon after our trip to Thailand. We are thinking about going to Rabat as soon as our plane touches down. It sounds so much nicer than Casablanca. And then we'll meet up with our group on the 15th.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place to stay in Rabat?

daria28 Feb 13th, 2008 05:11 PM

I was in Casablanca for a day in August so I really didn't see much there.

I would have to say, however that the Hassan 2 mosque is definitely worth a visit. Its quite a beautiful and amazing builing and yes non-Muslims are allowed to enter. I can't remember how much it was for the guided tour, but I don't remember thinking it was expensive.

As for the rest of Casablanca I remember there was a small market and I heard that theres a place called Rick's Cafe that's a recreation of the bar/restaurant in the movie Casablanca.