Extra Day Possibilities?

Jun 21st, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Extra Day Possibilities?

For those of you who have taken the Luxor-Aswan cruise, did you have any time to see Aswan or Luxor cities or markets? We have an extra day and are wondering whether to spend it in Alexandria (already spending 1 day there), or perhaps in Aswan or Luxor? The cruise does not seem to allow time to wander in those places other than the monuments unless I am missing information. Any suggestions?
Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:34 AM

Yup, there is not much time to spend wandering in Aswan-Luxor especially if you're taking the sleeper train to/from Cairo.

Our Nile cruise was 4 days 3 nights from Luxor to Aswan. We managed to go to the Sound & Light Show at Karnak Temple in Luxor - wouldn't recommend it though. You may want to go to the Luxor Museum as a friend who went found it very good and you can take pictures of the exhibits there unlike the Cairo Museum.

We didn't have any time to see Aswan at all as we left Abu Simbel the morning we arrived in Aswan which left us the afternoon to see the Aswan High Dam and Philae Temple. We could only get seats on the early sleeper train and missed out on the felucca ride (we had one in Cairo instead) to Elephantine Island.

The souk in Aswan is supposed to be worth going to. We saw pictures of it from people we met on the cruise who spent an extra night there.

We also spent a day in Alexandria - make sure you're not going on a Tuesday as the library is closed on Tuesdays.

If I could do it over again, my vote would be to spend the extra day in Aswan.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:53 AM

I've done the Aswan to Luxor cruise and our trip did a quick tour of Aswan but no time to wander. We had no time in Luxor at all except to see the temples and Valley of Kings, etc. as we had to fly back to Cairo. There was no time to visit the market or anything else. I've since been back and done the Cairo to Luxor train and spent a lot of time in Luxor and the Red Sea. I loved the cruise but it doesn't give you much time on your own.

Search this Thread