Extension to a tour

Aug 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Extension to a tour

We are planning a tour next August which will take us from Cape Town to Pilgrim's Rest, Sabi Sabi, Johannesburg and Victoria Falls. A 4 day extension to Botswana is offered going Linyanti and Jao Reserves and then transfers back to J'burg for flight home. Given the time of year, does anyone have other suggestions, or do these places sound good. We would like to see as much wild life as possible in 3-4 days and our budget is somewhat generous. We could start out either from Victoria Falls or J'burg. Thanks.
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I don't know those particular camps, but we just did an almost identical trip in June and I would not have missed Botswana - very different from Sabi Sands. We stayed at Nxabega Camp which has the Hemmingway style tents and was fabulous. The staff was incredible (I got spoiled being waked up each morning by Susan bringing me a thermos of fresh ginger tea!) and we saw some wonderful things (that's where we finally managed to see our lions). Where are you staying in Victoria Falls? We stayed at Ilala Lodge right in Vic Falls town and loved it. Again, the staff was great and we were within walking distance of the falls. We also had dinner one night at Mama Africa on the advice of a post from here. It was great! I recommend it highly. One word of advice for Zimbabwe - bring hard currency and lots of small bills to use for tips. The only place you will be able to use a credit card with be the hotel. Even our elephant safari which we book ed when we got there had to be paid for in cash. One thing we found we could do was to use up our leftover rands from South Africa which eliminated the need to change them back when we flew through Jo'burg on the way home. In Cape Town - I don't know how adventurous you are, but we did a cage dive with great white sharks (White Shark Ecoventures) and had a fabulous time. Winter is the best time to see them and in August you would also be able to see all of the southern right whales migrating along the coast. We got lucky and saw a couple of early arrivals, but you'll see a lot more. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Search this Thread