Singita in May. Packing and tipping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am off to Singita Sweni in early May 2006 for four nights, followed by one week beach holiday in Dubai can anybody offer any advice on what to pack, the lodge web site suggests a padded jacket, hat, gloves and scarff, is it really that cold during the game drives, what about footware, boots or trainers? We fly into Singita and are therefore very limited with our luggage allowance, so I want to get it right. Any help and general comments on Singita would be appreciated. I would also appreciate any advice re tipping hotel staff, drivers and guides.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM

The Sabi Sand will be warm during the middle of the day, but can be cool, so I would heed their advice about the padded jacket, hat, and gloves. Remember, you will be going on early morning and evening game drives in an open vehicle when the temperatures will be much lower. I learned years ago to add those things to my packing list along with a scarf, and many times I was the only comfortable person on the game drive. I take a winter fleece hat that you can get at LLBean or Eddie Bauer. It's light and packs flat and won't blow off your head as sun hats or baseball caps sometimes do. Dress in layers so you can remove/add some clothing as it warms up/cools down during the game drives.

If you are pressed for space or weight in your packing, you can always carry the jacket.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:24 AM
sandi

Absolutely, those morning game drives, especially, can be downright cold. when your open vehicle takes off chasing some animal the wind picks up and that hat and scarf will be invaluable. Don't forget the socks and gloves. Evening drives start out warm from the day temps, but as soon as the sun sets, it gets nippy. The vehicles do provide blankets which help, but it's nice to have your own.

Gloves, scarf, socks and hat don't take up all that much room. If you don't want the heavier jacket, then wear thermal-Ts under whatever - layers always work.

Unless you go out on game walks you don't need more than trainers (ugh - I don't even own a pair) moccasins or Teva-type sandles (both of which I prefer). Walks are conducted during daylight hours, so the temps are warm/comfy. Most people we saw wore these. Boots are not necessary (besides they're heavy).

Happy travels.

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:26 AM
sandi

... ooops, missed the tipping question.

Besides the fact that your tour operator should have provided you with a guideline, and that many lodges/camps have a "suggested tipping" sheet.... there here are lots of threads on this board re tripping while on safari. Do a search in the box on the top of this board. Input "tipping" and lots of threads will appear in the left column.

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM
g2g

regarding tipping,
do you tip in rand or american $?
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I usually tip Rand in SA and $ in Botswana. I generally grab cash at the ATM in Joburg airport when I arrive. You can also put tips on your credit card, but I like to be able to give them to the staff in person.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:15 AM

Ringy,

Are you sure that May will not be too hot for Dubai? I was just checking weather for November, and it seemed that by May the average daytime temperatures were 102 degrees!

Just wondering...have you been to Singita Boulders or Sinita Ebony already? These two lodges will more than likely have much better wildlife than Sweni or Lebombo.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:16 AM

(I stayed at Singita Boulders in March 2002 and loved it)