exotic destinations

Jun 19th, 2001, 05:37 PM
diaz

exotic destinations

My wife and I will be taking a year off to travel the world. A few years back we visited several countries on one trip. One of the places that has stayed with me is Istanbul because it's exotic nature. We plan on concentration on countries we would not ordinarilly visit(another words Italy,Spain,France are on everyone's list) will.What countries would you recommend and why?

Jun 19th, 2001, 10:43 PM
Myriam

I would vote for the African continent. We have only seen two countries (Senegal and Kenya). Yes, we've also been to Tunisia etc. but these are more European than real African.
Why Africa? For the beauty of these countries (in Kenya the wildlife was an extra plus), for the African way of life, the "couleur locale", their exuberance (especially of the Senegale people), the pride of these people. So many reasons to go back.

This winter we went to Sri Lanka and the Maldives. Their culture is totally different but interesting as well. People are modest and quiet and the influence of Buddha is quite high. But its nature and scenery is amazing as well.

If you're interested in viewing my pictures, take a look at <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com"Virtual Tourist" - pages of myriam_c

Every country and every continent has its pros and cons but if it was up to me ...

Jun 19th, 2001, 10:45 PM
Myriam

Sorry, mistake in my link: the website I referred to is: http://www.virtualtourist.com and my pages are under myriam_c

Jun 21st, 2001, 11:14 AM
elvira

Malta - it's just too unusual to describe; sort of like western Europe with a Middle-East attitude.

Morocco - In Africa, but a contrast to the Africa Myriam recommends. Take a camel trek through the Sahara to feel reallllly insignificant.

Canada Polar Bear trip - a friend did this and said it was incredible. Out of Churchill, you're driven out into the snow, hole up in the middle of the polar bears, the 'trailers' are on jacks that ratchet up so the polar bears can't get in.

Ni'ihau, Hawaii - 250 Hawaiian inhabitants, the island is forbidden to outsiders except for day trips (no accommodations on the island; you come over from Kaui)

Living National Treasures of Japan - visit the homes and workspaces of those craftspeople deemed "Living National Treasures"; along with that, visit the small islands of Japan to see the countryside

Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:13 AM
dave

Highly recommend Syria. The people are very friendly, especially to Americans. Great variety of types of places - early Christian, Moslem, Roman, Crusader, etc. If you liked Turkey, give Syria try.

Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:24 AM
mdevita

Second vote for Syria; especially if you liked Turkey. Don't miss Aleppo, old part of Damascus is very interesting. Blends of cultures and religions abound. Extremely gracious people all over the country and easy to get around. Go before the rest of the world finds out (fair number of Europlean tourists, some Americans ).You also might like to explore Lebanon, easy to do both.

Jul 5th, 2001, 09:15 AM
mg

Zanzibar
Belize
Peru (Patagonia)
Botswana

Can I carry your bags ?!?!

Search this Thread