South Africa with a fourteen month old

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 06:00 AM
Chandler

South Africa with a fourteen month old

My husband and I are going to South Africa in October with our son who will fourteen months old then. We will be staying outside of Durban and then driving along the Garden Route to Cape Town. While there seems to be plenty do with a young child, I do have some concerns. <BR> <BR>My concerns are about food and water (for drinking and baths for our son), health (malaria risk, etc.) and safety. I am also curious as to what sort of baby supplies (Huggies, Gerber, etc.) I should be able to find there. <BR> <BR>If anyone can fill me in on any of my concerns and on what to expect when travelling to South Africa with a young child I would appreciate it. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 11:59 AM
tdixon

Durban and the cities are for tourists <BR>like any first world city/town. Even a <BR>two star hotel or camp ground would provide clean, drinkable water. <BR>Huggies are available at every supermarket and Gerber's are available under the brand name of "Purity". It look's exactly the same only the name is different. Most hotels also provide baby sitting services. Enjoy your holiday. Tdixon

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 10:10 AM
Roger Vineall

As the previous message said, cities and large towns will have all the baby 'goodies' you need. Tap water can be drunk without any fears - only if you go very rustic (e.g. camping in very rural areaa) should you worry about borehole water, but it sounds like you're not doing that type of thing. Only worry about malaria precautions if you go north of the Tugela river - Durban is fine. And if the worst happens - we have very fine hospitals - after all the first heart transplant was performed in South Africa. Are you driving all the way from Durban to Cape Town or flying part of the way? <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 04:27 PM
Chandler

Thanks for the replies, and putting my mind at ease about this trip. <BR> <BR>We will be driving the entire way from Durban to Cape Town the last week of our trip; we will be renting a minibus. A family friend in South Africa has proposed an itinerary with us leaving from San Lameer, and stopping in East London, Plettenberg Bay, Knysna.

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 05:02 AM
Roger Vineall

The first day of your drive will be the worst - some of the roads through the former Transkei are not the best. Just make sure that you travel in daylight, because at night there can be problems with animals on the road. You should get to East London in about 6 hours. <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 10:03 AM
Chandler

Thanks for the information about the Transkei. It is possible that we might leave for Cape Town from San Lameer, or even from Estcourt (my husband's parents live there). Do you know how long of a drive it will be to East London from Estcourt?

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 10:38 AM
Roger Vineall

Probably about 5 hours. You have the option of going through Richmond or Underberg to Kokstad; both drives have great scenary but I'd contact the AA (Automobile Association) once you're there to find out about road conditions. <BR>