Excursion to Morocco from Spain

Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Excursion to Morocco from Spain

Hello,

We are planning a trip to southern Spain with a tour company. We have the option of a trip to Tangiers, Marocco with an overnight stay. We would arrive in the afternoon and leave the following afternoon. I'd like some feedback on what we can expect in Tangiers from those who have visited and if it is worth the time, effort and money to visit.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM

I found Tangier to be one of the less interesting places in Morocco, with some degree of hassle from the locals. I used it as a base to visit Chefchaouen and to cross over to Gibralter. Friends who crossed from Spain into Morocco for the day did not think it was worthwhile.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:23 PM

Took the high speed ferry across the straight of Gibraltar
to Tangier. We arrived early morning and left in the afternoon. It was fascinating, quite a cultural shock and in my opinion the best tour I have ever taken. The only harassment was from some 'snake charmers' who demanded money for a performance I could not escape. I purchased a small rug which, after repeated bleachings has become the softest, warmest most beautiful blanket.
I would highly recommend a visit.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM

I "lifted" this from someone else on this Europe forum: "Tangier is to Morocco as Tijuana is to Mexico". Related, but not closely. I wouldn't waste the time going to Morocco just for a day in Tangier. Obviously, others feel differently.
Jan 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM

I agree with femi.
I FOUND THE COUNTRY NOT TOURIST ORIENTED AT ALL.
I traveld to Morocco in April of 2008 with my family.
At first we planned to stay there for two weeks, but once we got there we found the locals unfriendly unhospitable they did not speak english not even the taxi drivers YOU WOULD THINK AT LEAST FEW PEOPLE WOULD SPEAK ENGLISH IN McDONALD on chance.
The hotels were very expensive and not even close to standard, we changed3 hotels in our 6 days but they were all the same.
I found body hair on the sheets of 4 star hotel and after calling the reception 3 times they maneged to bring us sheets and not even bother to change them they just put them in the room and left and when we asked the person to change it he said i am just a reception not a room service and the sheets they brought us were not any better than the ones on the bed.
I managed to get to book a airline ticket to Turkey on the 6th day.
I would not go there even if had free airline ticket and a free hotel to stay in.
Spend your money where they would show some respect.
Jan 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Spend your money where they would show some respect.

Which apparently means speaking English because you do? I'm surprised you didn't also complain that they don't use the US Dollar. To most of us, the point of travel is to see other cultures, not to go three or six thousand miles to see more of our own.
Jan 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Having been colonized by the French, Moroccans speak French, not English, as a second or third (if Berber) language. I did encounter some who spoke English as a third or fourth. Since I only speak English and some bad French, I'm always impressed by anyone who speaks more than one language, and grateful if it's one I understand.

I stayed in some not-very-expensive hotels, one or two were bad, but some were very good. I didn't visit Tangier, but that was on purpose, it didn't sound very enticing, compared to other places in Morocco.

Jan 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who have replied so promptly. At first we thought, of course, we will opt for the excursion. It soundd so exotic and interesting. Now I think we will spend our time in Spain and enjoy all it has to offer. We wil save Morocco for another time.