Ever celebrated your birthday on safar

Sep 16th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Ever celebrated your birthday on safar

Anyone ever celebrated their actual birthday while on safari? Where and how did you celebrate it? Any ideas on how to make this a special day. Will be on safari with my husband celebrating his birthday in Botswana. Our trip if scheduled for June 2005. Our choice would be either being in Mombo or Jack's Camp. Which one would be a better choice for a birthday.
Sep 16th, 2004, 09:25 PM
JamesEOA

I vote Mombo (I've been to both more than a few times). Two of my last three b-days have been celebrated at Mombo - only wish I could do it again this year... alas, not to be.

Both are truly special though and you can't go wrong either way. Just have your agent be sure to notify the camp beforehand. Also, get the camp manager aside first thing upon arrival and double-check that they know about it.

Enjoy!

Sep 16th, 2004, 09:42 PM
DJE

My birthday happened to take place during our safari last year and it was celebrated at Mombo. It was a surprise to me to start the day with many birthday wishes from all the staff who's path I crossed that morning. My spouse had notified them in advance. That evening at dinner they presented me with a lovely surprise cake for dessert and the whole diner group gave me well wishes etc. It was a special place to have a birthday.
Sep 17th, 2004, 08:34 PM

I think either Jacks or Mombo would be super for a birthday. Mombo is spectacular, but I think a birthday at Jacks might be more memorable. Honestly, I think that Jack's is one of the most memorable experiences in Africa or anywhere. It really can't be compared to anything else... and the description can't begin to convey the experience of being in the Kalahari.

I was there a few years back, but the food there was probably my personal favorite in Africa. Sweets at tea were alway superb, so I imagine they do an excellent birthday cake.
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:34 AM

For a birthday I'd opt for Jack's, without question. Although both camps are wonderful and both would be fun, I believe that Jack's would be more likely to work with you to make it really memorable.

Sep 19th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input. In terms of arranging for some special dinner for a birthday, will this be an additional charge with eithr Mombo or Jack's. By speical dinner I mean having a private dinner set-up away from the daily buffet meals.
Sep 20th, 2004, 12:40 AM

Doubt it with Mombo but don't know.
No, with Jack's.

Search this Thread