European Gateways Into South Africa...

Aug 14th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

European Gateways Into South Africa...

This post originally started as a question asking from which European cities is a direct flight into Johannesburg possible.

Instead, I did a little research myself and found at least most of the answers thanks to the Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) website.

Besides the obvious airports such as London, Madrid, Frankfurt and Zurich, I was surprised to find many others. So, I will post a city list, along with airline.

I, for one, would not mind breaking up all future trips with a two or three nights in a major European city. Although I am a veteran of the unnerving 30+ hour flights from Southern Africa back to Los Angeles, it does not mind that I enjoy these journeys. It would be so much easier to stop in Europe, taking a break, and then continuing onward after spending a couple nights in Europe.

So, here is what I found out:

London - British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and South African Airways (very limited schedule on SAA, but I used this flight a couple months ago).
Possible to fly into/out of both Joburg and Cape Town.

Paris - South African Airways and Air France

Milan - South African Airways

Amsterdam - KLM (into Joburg and Cape Town)

Athens - Olympic Airlines

Frankfurt - Lufthansa and SAA

Dusseldorf - LTU (into Cape Town only)

Madrid - Iberia

Zurich - Swiss Airlines

Lisbon - Air Portugal

Other possibilities may include the following cities, since they were listed in ACSA's database:

Brussels, Budapest, Cologne, Copenhagen, Istanbul, Munich and Vienna.

None of these flights seemed to have direct flights for airlines that are available on Travelocity, but since they are in the database, there is a strong possibility that direct flights to South Africa do exist.

For those of us living on the west coast, it may serve us well to find a direct flight to the European city where you wish to break up your journey, and then another direct flight from the same European city to South Africa.

I, for one, may just choose to spend 3 nights in Paris on the way home from South Africa next April.

Cape Town (4)
Cape Winelands (2)
Simbambili (4) (There were just five leopard sightings in a single night game drive there on Thursday night, as shown on Taga Safaris website)(http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/african...est-events.htm)
Mala Mala (4)
Paris (3)

Search this Thread