Etiquette when soliciting safari proposals

Jun 20th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Etiquette when soliciting safari proposals

I'm in the process of planning a safari to Zimbabwe and Botswana for 2006 and have been in contact with 4 tour operators; the itineraries and accommodations are all essentially identical. However, the prices, particularly the single supplement, have all been different. Is it appropriate to tell one tour operator that their quote is significantly higher than another? Or, are there other variables that I'm not aware of or should consider that may make the cost different?
Jun 20th, 2005, 08:04 PM

I'd certainly inform one agent of how they stack up with another. It can't hurt to ask about a reduction in single
supplement.

As to other variables, if you ask the agent, they can tell you what they perceive the variables to be that make them worth more money. That gives the company a chance to promote its product and service. You can decide if its what you want.

Jun 21st, 2005, 12:02 AM

Although I may research the offerings of more than one operator I usually narrow it down to two or three before getting quotes. At that stage, if all else is equal, I'll certainly go back to the higher quoting operators and ask if they'd like to requote to beat a price I have been given by a competitor.

That said, on my last trip, I went with the more expensive operator because their service, dedication and advice was far and away better than that which I was getting from the operator I had used first time around.

Search this Thread