Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Ethiopia photo reportage lower omo valley and a question of Afar Triangle

Ethiopia photo reportage lower omo valley and a question of Afar Triangle

Mar 7th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Ethiopia photo reportage lower omo valley and a question of Afar Triangle

I visited Ethiopia and South was a wonderful trip. I was in Addis Ababa, Arba Minch National Park Nechisar Chenca Turmi Jinka Hawassa Yabelo

very exciting to meet the Karo tribe Mursi and Hamer in lower omo valley

to see the photo reportage of 1500 photos click on the link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcodi...7628825079951/

2 questions on the Afar Depression zones:

what time of year is best ?

are there hotels ?

thanks
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Thank you for sharing these remarkable photos. Most extremely interesting.
Why were the people all dressed up and painted in the first photos? We they from a more rural area? Festival? Tourists??
I notice these streets were so much cleaner than say, Nepal. Ethiopia just poorer, less trash to begin with, or different tradition?
Beautiful children, and so many children. They certainly need clothes. Some countries get too many used clothes. Ethiopia could use more.
What an amazing trip you had. I would like to see your photos from other trips.
May 7th, 2012, 09:21 PM

Your photos are too good. I'm going to be in the same area in September and these shots almost make me feel like not taking my camera. Since I know I won't be able to help myself, what suggestions or advice can you offer me? How did you handle the payments for the pictures? Did you negotiate with each person? Did you pay for each separate picture? Did you pose the people or did they just do whatever they wanted? What else?
May 8th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Mediatorr, I was there in October and our guides negotiated the price for photos. When we were in a village, he spoke with the chief and the price we used in most villages was 10 birr per photographer per subject. There were 4 of us photographers and we sometimes all shot the same person so that person got 40 birr (10 birr per photographer). If only one photographer shot one person, they were paid 10 birr. Our guide told us some people pay 1 birr per click of the camera. We had unlimited photos with our arrangement.

If you would like to read another trip report, mine is here http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...omo-valley.cfm and my photos are here http://www.pbase.com/cjw/2011_tribes...natural_nudity

It was an amazing trip and I'm so glad I went.
May 8th, 2012, 11:03 AM

toscanafoto, you have some great photos! I think you saw much more of Ethiopia than I did. We didn't spend much time in the city and you have some great shots of people in the towns as well as the people in the villages.

Elainee, if you are still reading, the first pictures toscanofoto has looks to be from some of the very rural villages in the lower Omo valley. And that's how they dress. I think the face painting is ceremonial. And I guess for guests. We saw some very beautiful painted faces when we were.
May 8th, 2012, 02:20 PM

Ethiopia sounds like a dream...thru which agenc(ies) did you arrange your trips and could you give me a vague idea of price per person. I have no idea. Thanks, dowjoan in CA
Jun 15th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Responding to dowjoan: We are traveling with GAdventures to the Omo Valley. Our trip costs about $2,000. a person for twelve days....not including air. I have heard good things about this company. Will be going in August.

Lorraine
Jun 15th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Your photos have made me even more excited about my upcoming trip to the Omo Valley in August, 2012. They are truly incredible. I understand that people can become quite aggressive around photo taking issues. I don't want to offend anyone. Hopefully our tour director will advise us.

Lorraine
Jan 21st, 2013, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the compliments for the photos, for me this was an amazing experience !
Feb 25th, 2013, 01:59 PM

Great Pictures, here are also some pics of ethiopia:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10575...7620123/albums

Peter
Feb 27th, 2013, 02:52 PM

Just wondering. I didn't see any bull jumping ceremony pictures. We're they not doing it when you were there? That was one of the highlights of my trip there!!
Dec 21st, 2013, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

unfortunately I have not seen the bull jumping ceremony !

Lower Valley of the Omo is UNESCO World Heritage Site

Some Tribe and ethnic groups are: Mursi - Karo - Hamer - Banna - Bodi - Galeb - Borana Oromo - Konso - Dorze - Ari - Bongoso - Kwegu or Muguji - Maale - Surma

I want to point out the major tourist attractions

> Addis Ababa what to visit:
-------------------------------------
- Central Market ( the largest of Africa ! )
- Ethnographic Museum - National Museum - Red Terror Martyrs Memorial Museum ( Qey Shibir ) - Ethiopian Railway Museum
- panoramic road of Mount Entoto to see the city from above
- Trinity Cathedral - St. George's Cathedral - Adadi Mariam Church - Kiddus Raguel Church - Entoto Maryam Church
- Imperial Palace ( the seat of Government )
- Meskel Square
- Derg Monument
- Ethiopian National Library
- Menelik II Mausoleum

> Arba Minch what to visit:
-----------------------------------
- near village Chenca ( Ethnic group Dorze )
- Nechisar National Park o Nech Sar ( many crocodiles and hippos )
- Abaja Lake - Chamo Lake

> Jinka what to visit:
---------------------------
- Mago National Park ( Tribe Mursi )
- Central Market
> In Kay Afar or Key Afer very nice market ( Many ethnic groups and tribes who crowd this market )

> Kortcho ( Tribe Karo )

> Turmi ( Tribe Hamer )

> Yabello or Yabelo near village with tribe Borana and in El Sod a volcanic lake black and salty in a crater of a volcano

> Hawassa or Awasa or Auasa interesting the fish market

> Konso or Karati is UNESCO World Heritage Site to see Waga sculptures and the home of the King of the Konso

For nature lovers I suggest you to visit Afar Triangle or Afar Depression

Other interesting places are: Lalibela - Mek'ele - Axum - Gondar or Gonder - Yeha - Adwa - Gheralta - Kossoye - Mount Simien - Bahir Dar - Lake Tana - Debre Libanos - Debre Markos - Weldiya - Kombolcha - Genete Mariam - Lake Hayk

Search this Thread