Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Essaouria people unfriendly? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/essaouria-people-unfriendly-925731/)

TravelinFeet Feb 28th, 2012 12:04 PM

Essaouria people unfriendly?

Hello all. I just read a fairly new post on Lonely Planet that said that the people in Essaouria were worse than unfriendly. This man claims to have been spat upon, had rocks thrown at him and worse. Has anyone been to Essaouria recently? I have been really looking forward to going there to wind up my trip, but now am a bit nervous? Anyone?

Many thanks,

TF

planetraveller Feb 28th, 2012 12:49 PM

Hi TF,
we've been there last year and did not have any bad experience, as i'd suggest an amazing place out of Essaouira Called " Sidi Kaouiki" it's really amazing and worth a visit around Essaouira.
For travellers do not make that an obstacle to your trip for Morocco, because people are not in one Character and should treat people in a gentel way Moroccan people are really friendly, and no one could do anything wrong to you, im going there this May for the Rose Festival.
People have bad and good experiences, and travellers as well there is good people and bad people so always just keep in mind to treat every one good and you will enjoy it for sure, in LP there is many regular members just playing there as i always check it out and i can see unfriendly replies, as i saw many tour competitors there attacking tours, and attacking every new members so just avoide it.
Have a good trip.

dutyfree Feb 28th, 2012 08:19 PM

Geez-we were there a year and a half ago and absolutely loved the place. We actually spent three days including Christmas Day and found everyone to be incredibly friendly,helpful and caring.Our riad even gave us a beautiful bowl of fruit in each of our rooms as a Christma gift with a card which we thought was very sweet.In fact,Essaouira is our favorite city in Morocco!

The town has a wonderful old souk along with the new souks;beautiful harbor,great restaurants,shopping,and unbelievable beaches.Be sure and take the drive just south of the city to see the goats in the trees in the argan fields-amazing!Our family found if you smiled and were nice to people the way you want to be treated you will not have any problem.The people of Morocco were very nice and we traveled two weeks driving throughout the country and never ran into anyone being unfriendly.

TravelinFeet Feb 28th, 2012 08:39 PM

Thank you so much! I am quite relieved! Would you recommend your riad and if so would you be willing to share the name?

Many thanks!

TF

geetika Feb 29th, 2012 05:12 AM

Haven't been to Essaouira but Moroccans are some of the nicest and friendliest people I've met. I think the key is to be respectful of the locals and their traditions, you can't go wrong. Happy travels :)

Interpid Mar 1st, 2012 04:49 AM

Do not allow one single experience stop you from visiting the charming town of Essaouira, on the contrary, it remains one the laidset back cities in the country, hassle free & great spot to shop!

dutyfree Mar 1st, 2012 08:02 PM

Essaouira was the place that the former Cat Stevens immigrated to for two years to regroup from all of the craziness of the music world-seriously it is like out of Central Casting.
I am not near where my info is on Essaouria but will try and come up with it in the next couple days?

TimCullis Mar 3rd, 2012 03:40 PM

"This man claims to have been spat upon, had rocks thrown at him and worse."

That reminds me of a report in Lonely Planet guidebook (I think) warning of unfriendly dogs near the Youth Hostel in Azrou. It's highly likely the dogs were culled long before the book hit the presses. Transient information like this is useless.

TravelinFeet Mar 3rd, 2012 08:34 PM

Dutyfree -- would love to have your comments on my projected itinerary -- I actually have two that I've had proposed to me and am trying to chose/put the two together.

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...hts-please.cfm

thanks so much!