Search

Essaouria as a day trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Essaouria as a day trip

We want to do Essaouria as a day trip from Marrakech.

What is the best way? Should we take a taxi, an organizaed tour, a bus? How many hours would we need? What is there to do there exactly?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:44 PM

I went to Essaouria back in '82 and had a great day there. I'd love to go again someday. I don't know how it is now, but it was pretty raw back then.

I remember taking an old, raggedy, non- air-conditioned tour bus there from Marrakech. LOL! And it was the middle of summer. The bus was only about half full and picked people up at different stops around Marrakech.

When the bus was going back to Marrakech, the travel time took longer as camels wandered out onto the highway and didn't feel like moving. So, the bus was stopped there for quite a while. There was only one road going across the desert. One camel came up to the window of the bus driver and stuck its head in. I was sitting in back of the driver. I took a photo of it as I love camels.

So, the trip back to Marrkech took quite a bit longer than going. I think it took under an hour and a half to get to Essaouria. I don't remember exactly as it was so long ago.

Have fun! Wish I could go back. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:22 PM

We spent two weeks this past December doing a self drive through Morocco. Please do NOT do this as a daytrip-Essaouria was fabulous! We spent three days there during Christmas and absolutely loved the town and surrounding area. The city has so much to offer in terms of things to see and so and it is truly one of Morocco's gems!
The city has many restaurants;the medina has great shopping and less stressful than Marrakesh;the sea and beaches are unbelievable and relaxing along the sea shore is so enjoyable!
I would recommend spending at least two days there to really enjoy this wonderful city!
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Agree fully with dutyfree, Essaouira is a delightful place and a daytrip doesn't begin to do it justice. I spent 5 nights there last year and didn't begin to exhaust the delights it has to offer.

Simply hanging out at the port each morning as the fishing boats return is wonderfully interesting and enjoyable - something you will miss if you visit for less than a full day and night.

In the argan groves just outside the town you will see goats in the tops of the trees, and nearby are co-ops where women process the argan nuts for oil.

Sunsets here are stunningly beautiful, especially if you travel outside the town a short distance to the magnificent wide beach at Sidi Kaouki where there is the Marabout of a local saint.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 09:36 AM

We spent Christmas Eve day at Sidi Kaouki and there were only 12 of us on the whole beach-absolutely magical with the waves and several camels strolling by with their masters! Great little local windsurfing restaurant with an unbelievable view over the beach.
Essaouira really needs several days as you will NEVER run out of things to do,see or eat!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM

another agreement with dutyfree and julia1.

assouria is worth more than just a day especially since you will spend so much time getting there and back.
i was there for 3 days and could easily have stayed longer enjoying the fresh fish, beaches and relaxed atmosphere.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also agree that Essaouira is a nice place to spend some time, but be aware that it is not representative of Morocco as a whole, being more of a tourist enclave.

Taking the bus is much less exciting these days, and as I remember only takes an hour or so. You might want to pick up tickets a day ahead of time.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 08:08 PM

we did the day trip....it took all day.... we hired a van for the 4 of us, so as to go at our own pace....

check out seaside restaurant--Fanatic--- very good... make a res..