Entry Visa at Vic Falls airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going on OAT's Ultimate Africa in Oct 2007 and OAT is suggesting getting the visa ahead of time using a visa service because of long lines obtaining one upon entry. I've been to Zimbabwe several times and don't remember it being a big deal or time consuming. Just wondering if anyone has gotten a visa at Victoria Falls airport lately and if so, how long was the process?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:57 PM

We were there in June. The process is painless. The length of time that you wait depends on the number of people on the plane. We had a big plan land right ahead of us and we waited in line maybe ten minutes. It was speedy. They had three desks open. It wasn't a problem. You still have to file out your entry card anyway.
Kim
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Two weeks ago we flew into VF. We had visas (which we had received in advance at OAT's urging), but another couple in our group did not. It took them maybe 2 minutes longer to get through the line. It is not worth the expensive processing charge to get it ahead of time.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I suspected it was not worth it but just wanted to confirm.

Mossway1, would love to hear about your trip! Any advice?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM

We went in early July and nobody in our group was prepared well enough for the cold nights and mornings. On the contrary, we heard from our tour director that October is very hot. Don't know what you can do to prepare for that, but you should be aware. Things you DON'T need: flashlights, bug spray of any kind, shampoo or soap, washcloths. Many posters advise bringing these with you, but they are all provided in every camp. Don't take too many clothes, as laundry is done -- beautifully- at each camp. The service is "same day" and things are hand washed and line dried. Very gentle and they even got out red wine stains. Really one outfit to wear and two changes of clothes will be plenty. I say two because you can't get laundry done on travel days between camps. As for the 26 pound weight limit, they are serious. Our bags were weighed at Victoria Falls and we had to do some shifting among family members to meet the requirement. They did not, however, weigh our hand luggage (backpacks.) Do take cash, US Dollars in the denominations you will use. There is no getting change. Tens and Twenties are needed for paying the tips at the lodges. Cash is also what you use to buy souvenirs at VF and for any of the Shearwater activities. If you are not adventuous about eating things like ostrich or impala, say in advance that you don't eat red meat and they will make you an alternative like chicken or fish. Two ladies on our trip were very glad they had made advance arrangements when they saw those as the main course on two nights. That's all that comes to mind right now. Let me know if you have any specific questions. It was a wonderful trip. You will love it.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I do have a few specific questions.
1. Did any of the camps have electricity?
2. Did the camps take MC as payment for the extras or is everything done in cash?
3. How was the game viewing in Namibia?
4. Did you do any of the optional tours?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM

At the VF airport, did you need an extra passport size photo? I didn't even think about this until now. Leaving friday am. Yikes. thanks.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:56 PM

No photos were needed for any Visas when I was there.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM

FWIW, we had a full commercial flight to VF airport so it took a long time to get our Visas and it was very hot/humid (Nov/Dec). We were crammed in a very small area and people were trying to get the exact bills from others that didn't come prepared, it was chaotic to say the least.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:41 AM

Zimdonna, I am going to post my response to your questions under a new thread entitled -- OAT Ultimate Africa Answers. Others may be interested and it seems best not to bury this under the VF visa heading.