entebbe Zoo

Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

entebbe Zoo

Hi
wondered if anyone has any experiance of Entebbe zoo? Its actually a wildlife centre, run by Ugandan Wildlife Education Centre, UWEC, the people who run Ngamba Island Chimpanzee sanctuary. It sounds serious, well run & worthy of visit. Is it?
I see they also have accomodation. They have a handful of bandas for $20 a night. For Entebbe, with lions roaring at night, it sounds idilic - anyone any experiance of safety, quality, the 'experiance'?
We have several days in Entebbe before our tour begins, and are looking for some chillin' time, with accomodation where we can kick back. I expect we'll spend much of the day in the zoo, or botanincal gardens, or pool. Any other recommendations? We were thinking of going to Ngamba island for accomodation(we won't have the health checks for the forest walks) - does that sound a good idea?
All comments welcome & appreciated.

Pete
Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Sorry - should have added a link
http://www.ugandawildlifecentre.com/

Pete
Nov 27th, 2005, 07:13 AM

The tombs of the Kings at Kasubi are a recent UNESCO World Heritage site and there is good birding nearby. I was going to do this on my last trip into Entebbe, but then the timing changed and it did not work out. I think you can get there, visit, and return to your hotel in a day easily.

No info on the zoo. Sorry.

As for Ngamba, I've visited for a half day as well as an extended stay and the half day is quite interesting. You should get some good views or photos of the chimps during the feedings of fruits, which coincide with guest visits. A fence separates you from the chimips, who can roam throughout most of the forested island during the day. (At night the chimps come home to their cages for more food and a sleep in their hammocks.) Visitors stand on wooden platforms for a better views. After eating the chimps usually run back into the forest where they can forage on their own.

Enjoy your chillin' in Entebbe and your safari.
Dec 4th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this. May well check out the Kings at Kasubi for some birding.
Have now booked for two nights accom at Ngamba, so hopefully will be fun.

Pete

Search this Thread