Enlighten Us on South Africa...lst Trip!

Nov 15th, 1999, 06:28 AM
The Dukes

Enlighten Us on South Africa...lst Trip!

We are considering taking a two week trip to South Africa. Our questions are:
1. Can you take a photo safari at Kruger National Park...How much? Do you reserve in advance? How long is the excursion? Is it our best opltion for a safari in the area?
2. Is May---October a good time to go? That's when we prefer to go.
3. Tell us about Hazyview and Sun City?...We may can arrange timeshares in these two towns.
4. Can you take day trip excursions via bus or train? We hope not to drive a car.
5. What about immunization requirements?

THANKS, FODORETTES!

Nov 16th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Pete

Well you should have a great time. May-October is the winter but that is the best time to see the animals anyway. I wouldn't recommend using buses or trains, as you're likely to get mugged or worse. Immunizations-you'll need malaria as you're going to the Transvaal. Sun City is nothing special-its pretty much like Las Vegas-go to Cape Town which is incredibly beautiful.
Finally, be very careful about the advice on this forum regarding safety. Although the majority of travellers have absolutely no problem at all, SA has a horrific rate of crime which is spiralling out of control in most of the country. If you go to Jo'burg you'll get the picture. Just be extremely careful and listen to the advice of locals. Have a great trip.

Nov 16th, 1999, 05:36 AM
CAL

Thanks, Pete

Is there a safer country to go to and still be able to take a photo safari?
At Cape Town, how far will we be from Victoria Falls? Thanks for your input.

Nov 16th, 1999, 08:42 AM
Pete

Zimbabwe is pretty incredible. Cape Town is about a 3 hour flight from Vic Falls. In Vic Falls stay at the Vic Falls Safari Lodge

Nov 16th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Louise

May I recommend Botswana. We were there in May and had the most incredible experience. It is a feeling of absolute peace and tranquility compared to Kenya and Tanzania where we have been previously. Saw many animals and few people. We spent several days in Capetown first and then flew to Johannesburg and Maun stopping only briefly at the airports before flying out to the different camps. We ended up at Victoria Falls (great shopping). The last camp in Chobe had a few more tourists but nothing like the other countries. It would be of primary importance to me to be there when the delta has enough water to do mokoro trips.

Nov 29th, 1999, 12:12 PM
Kim

Definitely try to get to Cape Town! I was there this past Feb.(all alone I might add) and it is absolutely breathtaking. Try to drive down the Cape Peninsula which is so beautiful. A trip to Robben Island where Mandella was help prisoner is a must. It was the most awesome experience of my life.

Have a great time - I'm jealous!

Search this Thread