Emirates FF miles - Any to sell or trade?

Sep 20th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Emirates FF miles - Any to sell or trade?

I need 340,000 Skyward miles in order to upgrade on Emirates. I have miles on American, Continental, Delta, AMEX points, but nothing on Emirates. Is anyone willing to sell or trade points? We could facilitate through a third party if necessary.
Sep 20th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Emirates is a Continental partner, and Amex Rewards Points can be used for OnePass miles, so you might be able to do something there.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 20th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Generally speaking upgrades are only possible using the operating carrier's ff miles or miles from a very closely associated partner. I'm pretty certain that neither CO nor DL miles will allow you to upgrade on Emirates operated flights.

However, you can redeem free business class tickets on Emirates using either CO Onepass miles or DL Skymiles. If you haven't purchased your tickets yet, you could check into award availability. Is this for your trip to Tanzania?

With DL, you'll need 120K for a business class or 160K for a first class ticket from North America to Dubai. From Dubai onwards is a separate award and it may make more sense just to purchase this segment as the number of miles required is quite high relative to the length of flight.

You may be able to use one award through CO from North America to Africa. I'm not sure what their mileage requirement is. I believe CO offers business class but not first class awards on Emirates.

Another partner you can try is KLM which flies into Kilimanjaro, a more convenient airport if you're starting your safari in northern Tanzania. You can then fly out of DAR after your Zanzibar stay. A business class award from North America to Africa on KLM is 120K through DL and I believe the same amount of miles through CO.

With AA miles, you can redeem flights on BA or SWISS (to/from DAR only).

Those are just a few other options in case you want to try redeeming awards outright using miles you have.
Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. Emirates only accepts their own miles, so AMEX points are out. Same over at AA. Unless you set up a Marriott account first. Delta accepts them, but Delta is not so stable at the moment.

I ended up at AA. It is 150K miles per person round trip AND drumroll, business class seats ARE AVAILABLE using mileage. I damn near fell off my sofa. Have the flight on hold as I try to re-work the safari since I need to leave 3 days earlier.

We only have 206 miles between us, but I can buy 80 on-line for $2000. The other 14K miles I guess I will have to beg from a relative or something, but by hook or crook, I will get them.

Thanks!
Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:32 AM

Hello,

I was under the impression that it was illegal to sell/trade ff miles, and that doing so would result in the account being closed and all miles forfeited -- is this no longer the case?

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM

Julian, I believe that is the case, but I understand that miles can be transferred, and I think there are some who sell/trade them under the guise that they are a transfer between friends or family members.

I have worked too hard to get my miles to risk losing them by selling them.

But by permitting miles to be transferred, the airlines are creating an environment where miles can be sold.

I'm suspect this happens frequently.
Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:40 AM

jasher,
You can generally gift miles to anyone you wish. Most airlines will sell you their own miles or allow you to transfer miles between ff accounts for a fee. Also certain programs such as Amex MR allow you to purchase points which can be transferred to a number of airline programs.

You're not technically supposed to barter or sell your own miles according to the rules of most ff programs. However, since there are so many third party companies offering mileage awards for sale (essentially they're a middleman in a transaction between two parties), I assume that the risk of the airline doing anything is minimal. Still, not one that I would want to take.

But between family members, I have to no problem 'gifting' awards with the understanding that they may 'gift' me something back later on.

I see nothing risky about what bugswife is proposing though. It sounds like she's planning to purchase 80K miles from AA and use the shareAAmiles program to transfer 14K miles from another AAdvantage account.
Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:49 AM

Hello,

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity -- I'm not about to sell my miles, but it's an interesting idea. I once gave my sister 60,000 miles as a graduation present, but I didn't realise that you could give them to anyone outside your family.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Actually, here is how it works out:

Husband has 135K miles. We are buying him 25k miles on AA.com. He will then have his 150K miles and is allowed to transfer the remaining 15K to me.

I have 72K miles. Plus the 15K transfer = 87K miles. I can buy a maximum of 40K miles on AA.com, which gives me 127K miles. My sister-in-law, an AAdvantage member also, is allowed to gift up to 60K miles per year. She is gifting me 23K miles for which I am reimbursing her. Total cost for the purchase/gifting of 88K miles,with purchase & transfer fees is about $2400. And, I am delighted to pay it for 2 round trip business class seats from NY to Nairobi (about 16 hrs flight time). Promise a complete trip report when I return. Oh, and here is the itinerary:
Day 1 - NY to Zurich
Day 2 - Zurich to Nairobi
Day 3 - Nairobi to Arusha to Tarangire
Day 4 - Tarangire & Lake Manyara
Day 5 - Lake Manyara to Ngorongoro
Day 6 - Ngorongoro
Day 7 - Ngorongoro to Serengeti
Day 8 - Serengeti
Day 9 - Serengeti
Day 10 - Serengeti to Zanzibar
Day 11 - Zanzibar/Stone Town
Day 12- Zanzibar/Diving
Day 13- Zanzibar/Diving
Day 14- Zanzibar to Nairobi to Zurich
Day 15- Zurich to NY

Please feel free to comment. Not paid for yet, just on hold with Africa Adventures.
Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:57 AM

My comment:

I love it.

Have a great trip, and please do report back. It's always interesting to hear from people who have recently returned.
Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:47 PM

bugswife,
Is your SIL planning to transfer 23K of her own AAdvantage miles to you through the shareAAmiles program or is she purchasing 23K miles outright for you through the giftAAmiles program?

For shareAAmiles, it says 'Now share your miles with family and friends! Use the shareAAmiles® program to transfer up to 60,000 miles and receive up to 15,000 miles, per calendar year' so it sounds like each AAdvantage account may only receive a maximum of 15K through shareAAmiles.

I'm also confused about the part where your husband is buying more miles than he actually needs and then transferring the excess to you. Wouldn't you then incur an additional transfer fee on top of the fee for the purchase? Would it be possible for you to simply buy the max 40K miles and then use giftAAmiles for the balance of the miles you need deposited directly into your own account? I think that would save you the extra transfer fee, right?

My understanding is that the buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles 40K limits are separate limits. It says 'buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles transactions are limited to a maximum of 40,000 miles each, per account, per calendar year' but be sure to verify if my understanding is correct before you proceed.
Sep 24th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Sharing miles that you can give is a maximum of 60K miles, but only 15K to any one account. I think the fee is $30 per transfer.
So, I am taking the 'share' from my husband's account.
Then, I am allowed to buy 40K miles for myself on top of that, and have someone else buy me another 40K as a gift.
I forget the fee, but not a significant amount. I could just have my sister-in-law gift the whole amount, but she may need to use gifting for someone else so I am trying to use as little as possible from her.
Sep 24th, 2005, 08:12 AM

I believe the shareAAmiles fee for 15K is $150 + $30 transaction fee so $180 total.
Sep 25th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Patty, you are correct. And it is $180 well spent!

Search this Thread