Elephants in South Africa?

Sep 14th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Elephants in South Africa?

Hi you all and my apologies for asking a question that isn't travel related.

Do any of you know of an "adopt an elephant" scheme in South Africa?

If I could do an adoption on my little nephew's behalf I might well start a new birthday present rage in Iceland for the benefit of all concerned!

I know he loves elephants - hence the idea - but any other South Africa related birthday present suggestions would be ever so welcome!

Greetings to South Africa.
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:27 AM
OSC

This website may be of interest to you:

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/asp/fostering.asp

The orphan elephants are in Kenya, but it looks like a very worthwhile cause.
Sep 14th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Jona:

I can only second what OSC had recommended. I have adopted thirteen orphaned elephants from Daphne Sheldrick. This is one of the most worthy conservation groups in the world. Not only do they rescue orphaned elephants and rhinos, but they now have five desnaring teams that walk the borders of Tsavo N.P. removing snares and freeing any animals still alive. They also sponsor a veterinarian who takes care of all the animals in Amboseli and Tsavo National Parks.

Equally as important, Dr. Sheldrick often has 50 - 300 school children at the "mudbaths" with the orphans every day trying to instill in these children the value of wildlife and teaching them elephants and rhinos and not the big bad animals they often hear adults talk about.

When you access Sheldrickwildlifetrust.
org you can look at the profiles of each and every baby and select which baby you wish to adopt. You can do it right over the internet. They have a secure server where it is safe to leave a credit card number. The amount to adopt is $50.00 per year. You can then print up your adoption certificate and your receipt. Approximately once a month all aroptive parents will get an email telling them what the orphans have been doing that month.

They do have a baby there from Botswana via South Africa named Madiba (after Nelson Mandela), so if South Africa is your main interest, you might just want to adopt him!

What a wonderful gift it would be for your nephew. Not many kids can tell their friends they got an elephant for their birthday!

Jan

Search this Thread