Elephants and Bicycles

Apr 4th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Elephants and Bicycles

Roccco,

This is one for you and something we forgot to put in the trip report.

Every morning at Kapani, while we were having a quick breakfast before setting out on game drives we would here one or two elephants making a heck of a noise up near the main road from the camp to the park entrance.

Claire (manager at Kapani) explained to us that it was because of the men cycling to work. The animals don't understand the park boundaries and so there were always eles close to the camp, well away from the park entrance. Evidently, while they ignore the pedestrians, the eles seem to get really annoyed by cyclists - lots of trumpeting and mock charges.

There was no mention that anyone ever got hurt, however we mostly saw two or three people cycling together which we were told confused the eles.

As soon as we heard about this from Claire we remembered Roccco's plan to cycle from Mfuwe airport to the park gate.......watch out for the eles Roccco! C
Apr 4th, 2005, 03:20 PM

That's just what I was thinking about as I read this. Hopefully there will be many people bicycling from Mfuwe. Strength in numbers.
Apr 4th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Wonder if the elephants will target two Zambians on the same bike (as is often the case) or one fat American!

I am SOOOOO looking forward to this! It is such a thrill to even ride in an open air vehicle from the Mfuwe airport to South Luangwa...to do it on a bicycle will be quite the experience. I just hope that the Zambian children, in their excitement of seeing a mazungu riding a bike amongst them, do not knock me over accidentally. The chances of some little Zambian kids taking me out is probably 50 times higher than an elephant doing the same.

Search this Thread