Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

I'm considering NOT bringing a camera on a safari....would I regret it??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on two safaris in the past 4 years and both times I was fortunate enough to travel with 2 nature photographers. I have a little point and shoot camera, but mostly I got to kick back and just experience everything while my travel mates took photos. I'm heading to Zambia in a few months and am traveling solo this time. I was planning to purchase a new camera and a zoom lens (nevermind that I know absolutely nothing about photography), but am now considering not bringing a camera at all....There's something really nice and peaceful about just simply watching the animals.

What do you think...would I be making a mistake by not taking photographs??
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:46 PM

You will always regret not being to look back later and recall people you came in contact with and what a particular camp was like. You will mix things up later. Take one if just to jog your memory later. JMHO.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:58 PM

Hello stranger : ) how are you these days? I met this guy in Ruaha from the Netherlands. He's about 60 give or take.
Anyway, he has been going over there for 30yrs!!!!! Not one picture. Never.
I was floored by that. He told me he enjoys it. It's all in his head. He goes for him self. Thats it!
I don't know if I could do that. At this time, I know I can't.
For whatever it's worth.
Take care,
David
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:22 PM

Phernska,

I wish I could do that--not take a camera.

To help answer the regret question, here are a few more questions.

What do you do with the photos from your photographer friends from the past 2 safaris?

How would you feel if those photos from your past 2 safaris were destroyed?

Do you have other vacation or special event photos and what do you do with them?

Do you have any talent in drawing or sketching? I've seen some people do this on safari and other trips. They weren't artists, but said the act of drawing imprinted the scene on their mind like a photo. Sketching could take the place of photography.

Could a descriptive journal allow narrative to replace visuals for you?

You've probably seen the thread here on digital photography for some help. But that might be too complicated. Much of it is too complicated for me.

You could get a digital camera with 10x or 12x zoom that is around $500, with no extra lenses to fuss with.

I think being photo free is something to strive for rather than regret. I'm not there yet. Good for you, if you are.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:44 AM

Last summer I did an east African safari then climbed Kili.

When I returned home I found that I had only taken 6 photos. That was OK at the time, my memories were still fresh.

Recently a friend who had joined me on the climb sent me his photos. Wow, were they fun to see. I had forgotten so much.

I am thankful to have the chance to print those photos, and relive the trip.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:54 AM

I definitely agree that focusing on taking pictures can detract from your experience of the safari, but if you don't think of yourself as a big photographer, I don't see bringing a camera as really getting in the way.

So if there is little downside to taking one, why not? Even a few pictures will help keep your memory fresh for years and years.

Lawrence
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Well, I always recommend that people who aren't serious photographers bring a lightweight, super easy point and shoot. I have never regretted taking a camera anywhere, even though sometimes it's such a pain to use it. The memories are worth it and sometimes on lazy Sunday mornings, I grab my old trip albums, a cup of coffee and relive those fun times! Though I have been many places multiple times in my life each time I was different and experienced them differently depending upon my age and life at that time. It's a record of you as well.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 11:29 AM

I used my cheapie point-and-shoot, mainly because I ran out of $$ for things like that as my departure approached AND I have no idea how to use a good camera.

While certainly my photos are not of the same quality as (probably) most other people who go, I like to pull them out occasionally and get all misty-eyed.

Also, we have pictures of our wonderful, sweetheart guide, the fun couple we met in Zanzibar, us looking ridiculous at various points, etc. Those mean the most to me now.

Point-and-shoots are so small that if you end up hardly using it--and you won't feel obligated to if you, like me, are no Ansel Adams--it's no great inconvenience.

But if you don't want to bring a camera then don't bring a camera. Right?

Have fun. Zambia. I'm green with envy.