Elephant Valley or Chobe Marina or Muchenje

Feb 11th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Elephant Valley or Chobe Marina or Muchenje

Our agent just informed us that Chobe safari Lodge is not available, there are 2 lodges around the same price range –Elephant Valley and Chobe Marina Lodge or we can add about $350 pp for 2 nights and stay at Muchenje. Has anyone stay in these lodges? I love to get your input. Are there any other options? We are going in Aug 09.
Feb 11th, 2009, 07:54 AM

We stayed at Muchenje in May 2007 and really liked it. Our last night there the elephants were munching on the trees next to our chalet.
We are going back in June. Beautiful views of the Chobe, easy access to the NP and JJ, the manager does game walks which we're hoping to take advantage of this time.
It is intimate with only 10 chalets.
We saw Chobe Marina Lodge, it was located right in town but faced the river. Large accommodation.
Feb 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM

What about one of the new lodges that open in the next couple months? Ghoha Hills Lodge or Mapororo Lodge.
Feb 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Another one:

Chobe Chilwero Lodge. Very intimate, great chalets and wonderful vista on to the river. Not to mention their meals......awesome!

I just checked their rates which became some kind of "a bit on the expensive side"
until 15 June almost 600 and between mid June until end Oct 900

Maybe a TA with high volume can do it more favourable - I won't make use of the term "cheap" here ;-)

www.sanctuarylodges.com

SV
Feb 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM

If you did prefer Chobe Safari Lodge it might be worth trying again - we booked directly and at the first attempt they had no vacancies but 3 weeks later they did ... probably block bookings which weren't confirmed. I'm surprised to hear that Elephant Valley and Chobe Marina Lodge are the same price - we found Chobe Safari lodge much much cheaper (this was last year though - I've just had a look at their website and it's had a major revamp so maybe their prices have too!)
Feb 11th, 2009, 11:40 AM

luangwablondes,

"What about one of the new lodges that open in the next couple months? Ghoha Hills Lodge or Mapororo Lodge."

Do you have any more information about these? I've googled them with no luck.

Feb 11th, 2009, 12:15 PM

Not trying to be a smartarse, but that is the challenge put out there for our knowledgeable travel agents.
Feb 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM

http://www.safari-portal.de/Lodging....d.html#ChobeNP

The above is a German TA and the search engine also shows him (besides info Goha Hills related: Opening April 09) when asked for "Mapororo Lodge" - but I cannot find any feature.

If interested just go there and send him the queries. I am sure he can answer any question related to these lodges.

I should stress: I AM NOT A TA/TO nor I am anyhow involved in the a.m. business!

SV

Feb 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Yep that's the only site I found but no further info on the new lodges. More detective work required!
Feb 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM

tockoloshe
As far as I know the (German) owner lives in Namibia. So I am sure he knows details or at least knows somebody who knows.

Then "footsteps in africa" ([email protected]) or Ker+Downey ([email protected])might probably know something about it.

These is a small industry and the bush drums work well.

Just give it a try.

SV

Feb 13th, 2009, 06:32 AM

We stayed at Muchenje in August,2008 for two nights. The rooms a little smaller than other rooms we had on our trip, but very comfortable and nicely decorated. Of course we did not have hot days in the room, and other people have complained about that, as I think there is only a fan. The view from the lodge and atmosphere of really being in Africa permeated the lodge. The food tasty and OK, not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination. The day river trip, not to be missed. Neil our guide was excellent and staff very friendly. The Chobe Marina Lodge we viewed from the river seemed huge and very commercial but on the luxurious side, so I was very glad we were in a smaller, intimate lodge. Keep in mind we only saw the Chobe Marina Lodge from the river.
Muchenje was a great introduction to Africa.
Feb 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM

I would have thought our African expert TAs would have a line on these new lodges.