Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Elephant Diaries (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/elephant-diaries-542920/)

Kavey Jul 10th, 2005 02:20 AM

Elephant Diaries

Sorry, I've spent AGES searching and I cannot find the previous thread on this...

Last night I watched all 5 episodes of the new Elephant Diaries back to back and wasn't it wonderful to watch?

Informative on the life of one of these eles, from first moment being rescued right through to a return to the wild; beautiful footage of the most adorable little elephants; happy and sad tales of individual elephants; stunning landscapes in Tsavo; Michaela Strachan and Jonathan Scott...

What more could you ask for?

I've not deleted the recorded shows yet as I know I shall watch them again soon...

:D

JanGoss Jul 10th, 2005 06:47 PM

Dear Kavey:

Thanks so much for the positive report on Elepant Diaries. I am jealous though. We, here in the U.S., have to wait until March 5th, 2006 to see it on Animal Planet. Was the BBC offering it for sale on DVD so that one might purchase it sooner from the U.S.?

The work this group does with orphans is utterly fantastic. In addition to orphan rescue they have desnaring teams and also a veterinarian to treat sick and injured animals of all kinds in Tsavo and Amboseli Parks.

Thanks for letting us know it was a wonderful program.

Jan

Kavey Jul 11th, 2005 12:10 AM

They didn't mention it on or after the show... I'll go check the BBC shop.

Kavey Jul 11th, 2005 12:11 AM

Nope!

JanGoss Jul 11th, 2005 02:16 PM

Kavey:

Thanks so much for checking.

Just got an email this morning from a professor of veterinary medicine in the U.K. and he thought the program was superb. Looks like I'll just have to wait.

Thanks again.

Jan

Kavey Jul 12th, 2005 12:28 AM

Just got an email from Jonathan and he said viewing figures have been through the roof!!!!

Elle_a_chaud_au_cul Jul 13th, 2005 02:20 PM

Hi,

I dunno if it was shown or not but during the filming a big old tusker wandered out of the bush. By big I mean tusks about as long as trunk. There are pictures and a write up on the sheldrick trust website.

www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org

JanGoss Jul 14th, 2005 05:19 PM

I have seen this very elephant on numerous occasions in Tsavo. He is one of a very few old bulls left. His tusks almost touch the ground when he walks. Unfortunately he was shot by poison arrows several weeks back. The veterinarian did treat him but I haven't heard whether he has survived or not. To think he escaped the holocost of poaching over the last 30 years to now be tortured by arrows. What a shame. He is an extremely gentle bull who up until now has trusted humans. Things might be different now.

Hope I will be pleasantly surprised to see him again in a few weeks.

Jan

Kavey Jul 15th, 2005 02:39 AM

Oh what a shame. My jaw almost dropped as low as his tusks when I saw him as I thought we (humans) had managed to poach all remnants of the big tuskers out of the elephant genetic pool...

I do hope he makes it...