Electrical adaptors

Jul 24th, 2002, 03:45 PM
fiona

Electrical adaptors

I am from Australia and about to go to South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia. I am sure this is in a guidebook somewhere, but what kind of electrical adaptors do I need - are the power points European, American, 2 plug, 3 plug, round, rectangular...?
Thanks.

Jul 25th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Cindy

Go to www.magellans.com. It is the website of a travel supply catalog. They can rell you exactly what you will need, as the adaptors may not be the same for all three countries.

Jul 25th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Lisa

Fiona, I have copied my response from part of an earlier reply I made to a post with a similar question. This was in reference to a converter for charging a camcorder. I'm assuming you will not need a converter as your appliances are probably 220 v which are the same as SA. Correct? If you have 110v then you will need a converter as well as adaptors for plugs. I can't speak for what you will need in Zambia or Tanzania, so this refers to SA.

Usually with adaptors, the ones that are marked for Africa are incorrect for SA.

The one you will actually use for South Africa is the one marked Europe-Middle East. It is 2 "rounded prongs." The ones for Africa are 2 rectangular prongs and they do not fit in South Africa.

Now for the next complication. All wall outlets are for big 3 pronged plugs. You have a small 2 pronged plug.This brings us to our next step.

Once you get to South Africa, you will need to go to a supermarket or a store called "Clicks" (which is similar to a drugstore in the US or possibly any drugstore or hardware store.

Ask for a "triple adaptor". This is a type of a plug which fits into the 3-pronged wall outlet. It has space for 2 2-pronged plugs with a space a 3-pronged plug outlet in the middle. YOu will then be able to use the 2 pronged adaptor on one of the sides.

Some hotels may be able to lend you a triple adaptor but it is not always readily available and if you can get your own (they are very cheap) you will be set for traveling around.

This sounds way more complicated than it actually is and it has taken me a few trips to work all this out. (I guess I must be a slow learner) but the best piece of advice I can give you is to get your own triple adaptor. Don't forget to unplug it and take it with you.I keep on buying them there and then leaving them behind!

Have a wonderful trip.

Search this Thread