elderly travel to Zanzibar from USA

Sep 1st, 2014, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

elderly travel to Zanzibar from USA

My mother is nearly 80. Still very active and vibrant. But still 80. She would like to travel to Zanzibar (she has spent a lot of time in Lamu and Mombasa in the past but many years ago) for a week or so. Does anyone know of any groups/packages that cater to the elderly from the USA? Thanks!
Sep 7th, 2014, 02:51 AM

She should take at look at the offerings of Road Scholar. It is a well established non-profit travel company offering educational trips for seniors to just about everywhere. We have heard nothing but glowing reports about them and the predecessor, Elderhostel. We will be taking our first trip with them (to New Zealand) in a couple of months. My knowledge of African geography is lacking so I had to Google Zanzibar to learn it is in Tanzania. Road Scholar has several trips to that country so perhaps one will suit her.
Sep 7th, 2014, 10:39 AM

If mom is seeking to visit Zanzibar Island only... easy. Get a local travel agent book her beach resort and arrange for a meet/greet and transfer at airport on arrival.

I would suggest she spend a few days in Stone Town (15/min drive) from airport and easiest place from where to do any sightseeing*; then transferred to beach resort for relaxing; finally transfer back to airport and home bound.

*if she wishes anything missed during time at ST, she can arrange with hotel/resort, but it's likely to be more expensive as vehicles come from ST, in most instances 1/hr away.

Reminder - ZNZ is on the coast and thus tropical - hot/humid year-round thus suggest accommodations with air conditioning. And once away from hotel to always have bottled water with, a wide-brimmed hat and appropriate dress (this is a 95% Muslim island)... slacks or skirts, tops with at least short sleeves.

Search this Thread