Eilat Versus Aqaba? Need Your Thoughts

Mar 21st, 2013, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Eilat Versus Aqaba? Need Your Thoughts

Hello---My husband and I are considering Eilat or Aqaba as part of a larger trip to Israel and Jordan. I have seen varying views on this topic. What do Fodor's members think? We are scuba divers and our purpose is to be there to scuba dive for several days. We are intermediate divers and are just looking for casual, laid back (and safe) diving. We haven't decided if we would do day trips to Petra from Eilat/Aqaba, or actually just stay at Petra. We basically just want to try a new dive location and have some good dinners at night and relax. I know either location will be touristy. Your thoughts are much appreciated!
Mar 22nd, 2013, 06:35 AM

Hi: I wrote a bit a bout this in one of your other posts. We live in Jerusalem and were told my many, many colleagues and friends here that ELiat is OK, but very built up, expensive, lacking in service and charm, so we have gone to Aquaba area 5 times in the last 2.5 years and are planning one last trip before we move. We actually go to TALA Bay, and stay in the Moevenpick. [I think I have a review on Trip advisor for the resort.] ANyway, we have snorkeled--they have a boat that takes you out, however, they have a DIVE center on the premises. When you look it up make sure you look for the Moevenpick in TALA BAY , as they also have one in Aquaba. The service was fab, multiple pools, beautiful fish etc. We have gone to Wadi Rum and Petra twice on the same trips tied in w/ visiting the Red Sea. All very doable. Not sure about the car rentals however. ENjoy!

Search this Thread