Eight Summits-Part 2 (A climbing expedition)

Apr 6th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Eight Summits-Part 2 (A climbing expedition)

For all of you that followed Bill Burke's attempt to summit Mt Everest last year and anyone interested in following his 2nd attempt this year, here is his website that will have regular updates:

http://www.eightsummits.com/2008evtripreports.asp

You can also sign up to be sent a notice when a new post is added by his wife Sharon. If he reaches the summit this year, he will be the oldest American to reach all eight summits around the world. His 2 daughters are accompanying him to base camp this year and have already made a huge contribution to the Kathmandu economy~ read more on the trip reports, it's hilarious.

While he is climbing the south side, the Olympic torch will be making its way up the North side.

Last year, I was sitting on the edge of my seat on summit day. It was quite thrilling but terribly nerve wracking.

Good luck Bill! You are going to do it this year!!!

Apr 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Given recent events, I would want to stay as far away from the torch as possible.
Apr 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM

Funny link. Got a kick out of their haggling escapades with the monopolizing store owner. That probably happens back home, only we don't realize it.

I would keep my distance from the torch too now. I also don't belong anywhere neat the summit of Everest.

Hope #2 is the charm for Bill Burke.

When I saw the title and then your name, Carla, I thought you were mountain climbing to pass the time until you head to Africa. And in your condition! How far along are you now?
Apr 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

ROFL Lynn! I am finding lots to keep me busy during this final trimester but you won't EVER find me on Mt Everest. It's a very exciting time with lots of anticipation for the "big event" only 84 more days. I can't believe it's almost here. <)
Apr 21st, 2008, 03:37 AM

Looks like the torch is really making things hot on Everest:

http://www.rawstory.com/news/mochila..._04202008.html
Apr 21st, 2008, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Crazy! Bill and daughters are out of there now. Will attempt again next year.