Eight glorious days in the Mara- a new appreciation

Feb 28th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Eight glorious days in the Mara- a new appreciation

Just returned from a magnificent safari in the Masai Mara and two conservancies. My detailed photographic Trip Report is here:

http://safaritalk.net/topic/10324-ei...i-destination/
Feb 28th, 2013, 10:46 PM

Brilliant!very nice photos and good to note how much you appreciated the wild in the Mara plains.Welcome back again!
Mar 1st, 2013, 09:05 AM

Thanks for your report, especially the details on Mara Toto that was still under construction when I visited. Had to chuckle when I saw the pillows on their beds... either same as those originally at Mara Plains or just reused at Mara Toto... the things I notice

Both the Lion Project and Fly4Elephants operate out of Naboisho and that little 'yellow bumble bee' that Marcel operates to fly over the area daily is quite amazing. We were at Ol Seki, where Marcel is based and he'd wave to me every morning on the way out over the conservancy. He even offered to take me up, but it was for our last morning... thus assured him on my next visit would schedule time to do so, which should be amazing. However, I did get involved on his flight our last morning as I watched from the ground... he was up in the air, a male ellie that was dragging his rear leg, that on landing Marcel did a closer look via vehicle, called a Vet... and though not a spear, but an infection... sadly nothing could be done for the big bull. A shame. Most importantly though in our last communication, Marcel was able to advise that there had been NO poaching/killed ellees since 1st Dec. and while I haven't checked recently, hope it has remained so.

For the Lion Project guy, we stopped in middle of the road for me to delve into my pocket and handed him a bundle of $$$$.

Good idea for all, if they can... provide support to both of these projects as they operate on shoestrings; usually only needing funds for fuel for their vehicles and that plane. Checkout their websites and/or FB pages for how to donate, along with updates on what's happening out there.

Overall, Naboisho is a lovely conservancy, regardless the distance from the Reserve itself. So if the 'migration' isn't on top of your list, being at Naboisho, Olare Orok and even Mara North... are the places to stay. At Ol Kinyei (located between OOC and Naboisho, only Porini has their Porini Mara camp with the landsfor their own use, though as OP states in his link/trip report, if game spotted here visitors can go in for a brief 'look-see.'

Again, great report and some amazing pics.
Mar 1st, 2013, 09:14 AM

GREAT cat photos! Lucky you - cheetah and leopard
Mar 1st, 2013, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys.

Sandi Great feedback on the Fly4elephants and Lion Project. We saw Marcels "bumble Bee" constantly over Naboisho.

Just two comments. First a correction on Ol Kinyei's location- it idoes not border OOC but is on the opposite end, and Naboisho is between Ol Kinyei and the OOC.

Second and importantly on Mara Toto (and I don't care about pillows ) is its amazing location just inside the the Reserve, yet with access to the conservancies. People should not be misled that that the Masai Mara Reserve is overly crowded at all times and being exclusively in the conservancies is the way to go. In my opinion in the green season, access to the Reserve is very important and a combination of the Reserve and the conservancies is the way to go. If we had been exclusively in the conservancies, we would have missed a lot. Clearly in the peak season there is little choice but to access the Reserve to experience the migration and with that comes the horrible crowds of unruly vehicles. The beauty of the off season is you can do the Reserve with far less crowds and yet experience the exclusivity of the conservancies. Naboisho on its own, would not, in my view, be an ideal safari destination, definitely for first timers. But in combination with the Reserve, it works well.
Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:51 AM

Thanks for correcting me as regards the location OOC, Kinyei and Naboisho... as I've said previously 'turn me around in front of my own house, I'm lost!" - so thanks for clarifying for others.

Of course in the 'green' season, splitting time between the Reserve and Conservancies makes lots of sense... certainly less crowds in the former. But again... only if you have the time of minimum 4/nts, though with only 3/nts which is usual, can be hectic.

Personally, I don't go for the 'migration'* though did come upon this during one of those 'off' years when the herds arrived early - June - and was fortunate to be at Sala's camp which is farthest south (but for Keekorok Ldg) in the Mara and there's no other camp but for Sala.

*also, unexpectedly on first safari in '95 when the herds were still in the Mara early-Dec.
Aug 7th, 2013, 05:03 AM

Just fount this trip report! Beautiful pictures and it's good to see Notch again.

Thanks!

Search this Thread