Egyptian transport

Aug 28th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Egyptian transport

Hello

Can anyone please advise the transport used when visiting sites while undetaking a Nile cruise ?

I'm of limited mobility, do they use coaches to / from / around Valley of the Kings and to the Luxor temple for example?

Thank you

Aug 28th, 2004, 11:20 PM

I think it will depend on what type of tour or boat you're on. I've seen transportation of all sorts like taxi or tour buses to horse drawn carriage at the different docks.

You should advise and make enquiries if you have limited mobility before you go on a cruise.
Aug 29th, 2004, 02:09 AM

After you get answer to trasportation to/from sites, you will also need to consider trasport from parking area. In some places, that can be quite a distance over uneven, unpaved ground. Some places are totally inaccessible to wheelchair (sand, steps, etc.) Many bathrooms at sites are in makeshift or trailer buildins with steps to get in/out.

Do not want to deter you from visiting Egypt - it is incredible. There may be buildings you are unable to get into, but even the outside of most is worth it. (You don't need to go into a pyramid to be in awe)
Aug 29th, 2004, 03:44 AM
sandi

At the Valley of the Kings, once you get off your bus, they have choo-choo trains that take you further into the VofK, but getting into tombs can be difficult. Many slop downwards and are narrow; others have ladders one has to climb down.

At other sites along the Nile cruise dock at the bulkhead, but once on land, you find uneven ground and narrow openings to get thru and plenty of sand all around. Even in Luxor which does have caleche carriages along the main road, once you're at Luxor or Karnak Temples, again you find uneven walkways.

You don't mention whether you need a wheelchair, walker or cane - and while many sites can be seen from the outside, getting inside some of these can be difficult. One thing we noticed in Egypt was that there were few places that had both an entrance and exit that were separate. More often the same portal is used for both - bottlenecks.

And I don't even believe there is an elevator in the Egyptian Museum, which if I recall, is four floors.

I would suggest you speak with your tour operator regarding access to specific places you will be visiting to obtain specific information and/or what assistance is available.

Search this Thread