Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Egyptian Museum of Cairo (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/egyptian-museum-of-cairo-866613/)

kerouac Nov 14th, 2010 09:50 AM

Egyptian Museum of Cairo

Actually, these pictures date from a certain number of years ago, but I thought they might be useful to anybody hesitating about whether it is worth visiting this museum or not. So here is my photo report about it: http://tinyurl.com/33ycrs3

MissGreen Nov 14th, 2010 12:08 PM

I wonder who would hesitate at going to the museum?

kerouac Nov 14th, 2010 12:11 PM

You would be amazed at the number of people who think that museums are boring, even when they don't have the slightest idea at what might be inside.

MissGreen Nov 14th, 2010 10:45 PM

Loved the pics by the way kerouac.

Marianna Nov 15th, 2010 02:42 PM

We are looking forward to our trip in March and visiting the museum.

Great pictures, kerouac! Thank you.

colduphere Nov 15th, 2010 03:22 PM

I would hesitate to go (again) in the summer. It was like a very, very crowded sauna when we were there. I found a couple of cool spots and pretended to be examining whatever artifact was nearby.

LAleslie Nov 16th, 2010 04:47 PM

The mummies are in an air conditioned room, fyi. It can be crowded, and hard to see some of the artifacts when there are tour groups and guided groups huddling around, but god
i wouldn't miss this for the world.

it's eventurally moving to a new buiding. But walking through this old pile is like being in a silent movie, with dusty, uncaptioned Egyptianania piled everywhere, a charming mess that will surely lack some its soul when cleaned up and modernized. You expect Boris Karloff to jump out from behind a sarcophagus. See it now!

Casual_Cairo Nov 17th, 2010 12:49 AM

LALeslie - I love your description! "..being in a silent movie".... I'll think of that the next time I'm there.

kerouac Nov 17th, 2010 01:23 AM

I would love to visit the place the way they would do it in an adventure movie -- at midnight with a flashlight!

adrienne Nov 17th, 2010 07:57 AM

Perfect timing. I'm starting to get things organized for my March trip to Egypt. I think this is included on the tour I'm taking - is this the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities? Anyway, your photos are wonderful and it looks like a great museum - can't wait for my trip!

Thanks!

Casual_Cairo Nov 17th, 2010 12:00 PM

kerouac - I was in the Royal Mummy Room one time when the electricity failed and all the lights went off.

It wasn't quite as much fun as your description - all the locals pulled out their cigarette lighters and lit the way for us instead. Those without cigarette lighters, used their mobile phones. LOL :D

TravelerB Nov 18th, 2010 12:09 PM

Nice pictures

LAleslie Nov 19th, 2010 04:47 PM

Nice compliment coming from our Cairo expert Debbie. I would have assumed you'd heard every possible description.

Axel2DP Nov 28th, 2010 02:43 PM

The King Tut mask is so beautiful with such delicate features. I wish photography isn't banned, but people just can't seem to turn of their flashes, so hence the no photography rule for everyone. Except that when I was there a few weeks ago, I saw two instances with tourists sneakily snapping photographs inside the museum.

BeniciaChris Nov 28th, 2010 06:31 PM

Thank you so much kurouac for the pictures of the museum. I was there my first day after a long flight from the West Coast of US so although I saw it I didn't click in till I saw your blog. I have been to both King Tuts exhibits in the states-truely awsome. Thanks for sharing-Chris

kerouac Nov 29th, 2010 09:02 AM

Back when I took those photos, it was still allowed to take photographs without a flash. However, guards kept following me around to tell me that I could use my flash if I wanted, in exchange for a small bakchich. I disappointed them by saying I was doing just fine without a flash -- and the colors remain much richer for it rather than being washed out.

MissGreen Nov 29th, 2010 11:55 AM

Bugs me that if some super high profile visitor goes to the museum they ignore the "no flash" policy. So much for trying to protect the antiquities. When I was there the President of Ecuador was there in King Tuts Room and all the group stood in front of the mask and took photos. The media was there too, taking flash photos. One rule for some, another for others.

worldinabag Nov 30th, 2010 01:16 AM

Hi

Thanks OP. Just returned from Egypt. The Egyptian Museum is a must see. There was alot more people when we visited than what's in the photos!
You will have to pay extra to view the mummies - 100 Egyptian pounds. They are displayed in two seperate rooms. Do not miss them. For me the highlight of my visit! But Egypt history is not just about Pyramids and Pharoahs. Do visit the Museum of Islamic Art - it's truly extraordinary. And a peaceful, air conditioned respite from the madness of Cairo :">

Casual_Cairo Nov 30th, 2010 11:20 AM

world-- I just visited the newly reopened Islamic Museum myself yesterday - it is a WOW isn't it? Very nicely done! If people have time to see it, go.
LE50 per head.

worldinabag Nov 30th, 2010 01:10 PM

Yes Casual it certainly is. There wasn't alot of people when we visited so I think this one is an unknown gem with tourists!