Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Egyptian beach holiday for teens AND cairo/nile for the adults??

Egyptian beach holiday for teens AND cairo/nile for the adults??

Apr 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Egyptian beach holiday for teens AND cairo/nile for the adults??

am I asking the impossible? my 17 year old daughter and her friend want a post alevel holiday in an area with a bit of nightlife, and a beach. My hubby and i habitually seek ourt somewhere small, quiet, aand never ever take a tour or a package holiday. We are restless on a beach or poolside! We wondered if there was a way we could book a hotel, but then go off touring for 1-2 dys at a time- cairo, nile, maybe petra, leaving the girls at the hotel by the poolside. i am wondering if, given the distances involved, whre a suitable based may be- indeed even if it would be possible at all..I have looked at taba , but reports seem to suggest it is a bit quiet. anyone got any ideas ?

the girls are not intersted in diving- just a bit of shopping and nightlife, I am told!
Apr 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM

Okay - Sharm is the "obvious" answer, but I'm going to make a bit of an off-beat recommendation.

I suggest El Gouna. It is very popular with the Cairo expat crowd, and I always felt very safe and comfortable there (more so than the boardwalk area of Sharm).

http://www.elgouna.com/Home~SectionID~17.html

It is on the Egypt mainland (not on the Sinai, like Sharm). It is about 30 minutes north of Hurghada, and is a small, purpose-built resort area. There are nice resorts (I personally like the Movenpick), and an easily accessible "town" area with restaurants and nightclubs. And most of the resort area is walkable, or you can take a shuttle. The beach isn't much in terms of sand (few are in Egypt), but it is fine for sunbathing, wading, and snorkeling. And from what I recall of the shops - there weren't a ton, but they were pretty nice! Of course, it's been a few years since my last visit, so it has undoubtedly grown.

As for you - from El Gouna, you can do (long) day trips or easy overnights to both Luxor and Cairo.

Search this Thread