Egypt with kids

Aug 11th, 2000, 12:02 PM
Carol

Egypt with kids

We are going to Egypt for 2 weeks in November with our 8 and 13-year-old boys. I'm wondering if they would enjoy a cruise or be bored. I'd also like to know if some ships are more suitable for kids than others. I'm having trouble booking a cruise without a tour. Any advice? Are the mosquitos a problem in November? Also, can anyone compare the Winter Palace with the Sonesta St. George in Luxor or the Old Cataract with the Aswan Oberai in Aswan? Are any of these appropriate for kids? Will I be able to safely travel around Cairo with my kids while my husband is working?
Thanks for any advice.

Sep 11th, 2000, 06:27 AM
xxx

The Aswan Oberoi is on Elephentine Island, which means you have to take a free ferry to get on/off the island to mainland Aswan. There is a great pool there and nice gardens to explore. Many other guests had children and the kids seemed to be having fun swimming. Also you can rent a felucca (boat) ride from the island, which is a fun afternoon.

In June, the mosquitos were very bad and large.

The Old Cataract looks really nice and charming (saw it from the Nile) but the new tower is very ugly and has no charm.
You shouldn't have a problem traveling with 2 kids around Cairo. You can rent a taxi to take you around town. You could hang out in the museum or at the pyramids for quite a few hours.

Sep 26th, 2003, 09:29 PM

Carol

3 years later I come across this posting.

If you did take the trip, please email me some details. I am going in Jan with daughters 11 and 7.
We are pretty well traveled (we are Americans living in Asia for over 6 years) so are used to 3rd world conditions, long flights, language learning, etc. Any sights not to miss or that were not worth the time?
[email protected]

Search this Thread