Search

First visit to Morocco

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First visit to Morocco

Hi
I have a cheap flight to Malaga on 30 January for 8 days and am thinking of going over on the ferry for my first visit to Morocco.

I am a 55 year old woman. Will I be OK on my own? I am very independent and usually stay in hostels. I thought of travelling around by bus and train. Anyone have any useful tips for me?

I've read on this site about guides for the medinas. Is this really necessary? I like being on my own and going at my own pace?

Thanks
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:08 AM

Hi Lyndy,

You will have a wonderful time. Stay in a riad in the nedia rather than a hotel. They will take good care of you. You don't need a guide for the medina if you have good common sense and a sense of fun.

Have a look at my site for some eating and drinking reviews as well as my personal account of shopping the souks!

www.mcdougalladventures.com/category/morocco
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:09 AM

um...Medina...not nedia! typo
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:45 AM

My experience of Morocco is that if you visit a medina w/o a guide, you will be subjected to nearly constant bombardment of irritating attention from touts, guides and shopkeepers. We hired a guide merely to act as a bodyguard to keep others away. Morocco is absolutely beautiful, but I don't think I'm alone in saying that it has some of the most persistent touts anywhere. So even if you don't need a guide for sightseeing purposes, it may be money well spent to ward off the irritants.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Two conflicting replies!! However thank you both for your interest and I will check out your site,luckykat.

Does anyone know which is the best ferry to go across on?

Also anyone any experience of the hostels in Morocco?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:50 AM

I agree with Thit_cho about the need for a bodyguard. While it is generally harmless, the intensity of the constant heckling is lessened when you are accompanied by a local.

I also went as a single female( for part of my trip) when I visited Morocco. I think as a single, foreign female, you have an even larger bull's eye hovering above you.

I hovered close to women and families when travelling (on the ferry), and I cannot tell you how glad I was when they came rushing to my aid in a time of need.

You haven't said what cities you are planning to visit.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Femi
Thanks for your thoughts.
I haven't really worked out my route yet, but thinking of going to Tangier, Fes, Rabat and Marrakech.

Don't think I can do much more than that in 7 days and anyway If I like it there I can always go back at a later date to see more of the country.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:00 PM

With so little time, I would eliminate either Tangier or Rabat. While they both held some interest for me (the old town of Rabat, and Tangier as a base while visiting Chefchaouen), I would focus on the Morocco essentials of Fez and Marrakesh.