Egypt - What to give an Egyptian Woman

Aug 5th, 2000, 02:21 PM
Carol Peddie

Egypt - What to give an Egyptian Woman

When in Cairo I will be visiting my Foster child and family. I plan to take a soccer ball for the boy, a Swiss Army knife for his father, but what would the mother like? I need some suggestions for something a poor woman in Cairo would consider a treat.

Aug 6th, 2000, 10:06 AM
Rudy

Carol, since you haven't gotten any responses yet, I would suggest you post your question on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum. There are many people who read that forum who have lived in the countries for varying periods of time. I tend to post my more obscure questions on that forum, and I have never been disappointed.

Aug 6th, 2000, 09:36 PM
Michelle

If she's traditional i.e. wears the abbayah (black cloak) and veils I'd suggest some glitzy costume jewelry or a handbag, both of which are personal but can be shown off (first to relatives/female friends and second to world at large). A little less traditional (covers but does not wear black veil), a beautiful and colorful, large headscarf/shawl. I see many women wear the black cloak but cover their hair with lovely and intricately tied scarves. The best ones for tying in such a way are normally long and narrow, if they have tassles they look even more attractive. If she's modern - just about anything. Something a little less personal - a glitzy/fancy music box.

Note for female Fodorites. In many parts of the ME you can buy large kashmir shawls very cheaply. If you have a couple of days in one place, take your shawl to a tailor along with a jacket that fits you and have made into an evening jacket. Tailor will use flat buttons (but you can replace with nicer when you get home). I just had one made - whole thing cost about $40 (mind you, I compare to British prices, maybe that's not cheap in the States - just a thought!).

Search this Thread