Egypt/video cameras ??

Jul 29th, 2000, 05:24 PM
Charlie

Egypt/video cameras ??

I'm going on a 10 day Egyptian tour/cruise in mid september and my research identifies all of the things that are not to be photographed or filmed.My research also points out that many things of interest now require one to purchase permits to photograph or film indoor attractions with the video permits being costly.Does anyone have recent knowledge of video camera usage,permit cost in US dollars etc.,etc. I've always used video but am concerned,from what I've been reading,that it my be a bigger hassle than it's worth. Any other useful,little known,information would be appreciated.Thanks !!!

Jul 29th, 2000, 07:43 PM
crelly

Jul 29th, 2000, 08:15 PM
crelly

OOPS! Let's try this again. Absoutely take your video camera to Egypt. The videos I returned with were fantastic from my camel ride around the Pyramids to my cruise up the Nile. They are a great reminder that you were actually there. Tears still well in my eyes as I look at them and tell myself "yes, I really was there".

As much as I tried to keep the camera protected from sand and dust, some did manage to get in to the lense. It did not interfere with the quality of the videos, though. Thank goodness.

Most of the sights that charge for camera use charge about US$1.50 to $3.00 for a still camera and US$30 for video camera. Most of the sights that you will be visiting along the Nile do not charge for using a video camera (Karnak, Luwor, Hatshepsut's Temple, Kom Ombo, Abu Simbel). As I mentioned, there are excellent opportunities for some great video taping as you journey along the Nile. It's as though you have time travelled 3000 years in the past as you watch the people go about their daily routines in which the Nile River plays an intregal part.

...now if I can just get that souvenir dust out of my camera!

Aug 1st, 2000, 08:42 AM
Wei Huang

Yes, the locals do charge you for using still and video camera. For example, if you want to use video camera atop the Cairo tower, they will charge you 40 Egyptian pound. It is LE60 at the Pyramids. For non-tourist sites, do ask permission first (better if you ask in Arabic) to take still or video images of people (or where people are part of the images) as Muslims do not like to have their images taken - in Islam, images of man and animal are not permitted. Don't shoot photos or video at Khan El-Khalili as there are a lot of local women and Arabs take offense of anyone taking unsolicited pictures of local women.

Cairo is a great place to visit, if you know some Arabic, be polite and knows your way around.

Search this Thread