Clothing?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 01:32 PM
dcp

Clothing?

Is it true that shorts on men is considered a fashion faux paux (sp?) in Kenya? I going to be there touring missions and projects with a non-profit organization and will only be at a game reserve one or two days. The majority of time will be interacting with villages and people surrounding the Nairobi area. I know this seems a little odd but I was told by a lady that slacks were appropriate on men and shorts were only good for children. Any help is appreciated.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:30 PM
Not Me

Remember that it is not extremely hot in the Nairobi area and shorts may be chilly, especially in the morning and late afternoon and evening. I don't believe I've ever seen a Kenyan man wear shorts.

When on safari, they are not all that practical because of dust. When at safari lodges you see them more on the foreigners. Many people get the "convertible" pants where the lower legs can be unzipped off.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:14 PM
ssSS

Please show respect and wear proper clothing and that include NO shorts.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:04 AM
gail

Heard same thing about Egypt - finally had opportunity to ask more details from Egyptian person. She said that shorts on men was considered the equivalent of wearing your underwear in public.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:15 PM
Thyra

My husband and I were in Nairobi this past April.
Though shorts are accepted while on game reserves. Nairobi in my impression was a cosmopolitan/conservative city. My husband would not have felt comfortable in shorts. We wore urban/casual clothes. In the city center, most people are dressed in varying degrees of business attire during the week.