Egypt travel with young kids

Dec 23rd, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Egypt travel with young kids

We are planning to go Egypt starting Jan 10 with a 2 and a 4 year old. We already have the airline tickets booked, but no package within Egypt.
We hope to cover Luxor, Aswan & Cairo - preferable using a cruise line. Please suggest if you have experiences with any family friendly tour operators. I have looked up ISRAM and they said there is no 3 or 4 occupancy rooms, so we need 2 rooms.
Also, how is train vs plane ride when travelling from Cairo to Luxor/Aswan ?

Thanks.

--- sn
Dec 24th, 2003, 04:44 AM
sandi

ISRAM is correct, the accommodations on the Nile Cruise boats are for two, usually two twin beds, pushed together to make a King and the cabins are quite comfortable for two. While the boat companies don't list cabins for occupancy of 3 or more, we did meet a family on our cruise with their 3-yr old son, whom I doubt was sleeping in a separate cabin.

In addition to American tour operators, try contacting the following:

http://www.egyptontheweb.com/Main.htm

this is an Egyptian tour operator, who might be able to provide options, as well as the cost for children (under a certain age) if any - probably for food; there are plenty of Egyptians who take cruises along the Nile with their families.

It would seem that these children would either have to stay in one cabin with the two of you or you might actually have to take two cabins.

I haven't taken the train, but these are usually long overnight trips. I would suggest you travel by plane and you probably don't have to pay for the children as long as they don't take up a seat; flight times are about 1-hr.

You might also want to check Casual Cairo Detours, run by an American women living in Cairo who plans activities in and around who might have information about travel with children:

http://www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net/

Her name is Debbie and will likely have good suggestions/ideas for you. I hope this helps.

Dec 27th, 2003, 04:23 AM

We just returned from two weeks in Egypt including a Nile cruise from Aswan to Luxor on the Oberoi Shehrayar. Our large deluxe cabin included two narrow single beds and a couch, which I believe was a pullout couch that could presumably accommodate two small children. It also had two bathrooms. Our adult daughter had a standard cabin, which was literally half the size of ours, with a Murphy bed and a couch and one bathroom. Clearly the deluxe cabins are two standard cabins combined into one cabin. We were somewhat disappointed with the food, but the staff was very accommodating and offered to prepare special dishes for us. While we ourselves wish we had booked a more expensive cruise like the Oberoi Philae or Sonesta Moon Goddess, which perhaps would have better food, in your situation, I would recommend the Shehrayar or its twin, the Shehrazad. http://www.oberoihotels.com/oberoi/Egypt/Shehrayar/

We had considered the overnight train, in part for the experience, in part to save money, and in part because we had read many negative comments about Egypt Air never being on time and airports being dirty. We eventually decided against the train because we didn?t feel up to dealing with public bathrooms at the end of the car. We flew to Cairo to Aswan, Abu Simbel to Aswan, and Luxor to Cairo, and had no problems -- the airports were clean and the planes on time.

We had used Ministry of Tourism's website, touregypt.net, to contact travel agents in Egypt and received a dozen or so responses. We corresponded with several before eventually choosing Royal Egypt Tours, also known as SeaDivers, in Cairo. We made all our arrangements with them by email and were very, very happy with them. [email protected] or [email protected]
I highly recommend them. But you must not take anything for granted. Ask questions and more questions and more questions about the smallest details of things that are important to you.

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

Lorrie
Jan 4th, 2004, 11:56 AM
spy

hi ther. I have been to egypt once, my husband 3 times, but we've never gone with kids. We have 7 and 9 year old girls we are taking on their first big trip in April. I may not have too much useful info for you, but would appreciate your experience when you are back. We are not going to do a tour, prefrerring to wing it as in past trips. I do worry some about the kids dealing with "stuff" We are considering flying to Sharm instead of a long bus ride, but feel the overnight train to Luxor will be an adventure. Flying seems so decadent! In Cairo, the museum is a must, though your kids are young. The Pyramids, of course, and the bazarre. I know nothing about cruises, but a falucca ride on the nile would be very very nice.

Search this Thread